Can my previous employer sue me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryg1083

While I was at my last job I was responsible for paying some bills and doing book keeping along with many other responsibilities. I got behind on paying the bills because my boss continualy gave me other jobs to do and there was not enough time to get everything done. I spoke with my immediate superviser on many occasions about the fact I was behind. Everyone in the office was over worked so nobody was ever compleltly caught up with all of their work. I eventually left my job 3 months ago and have been with a new company since then. Yesterday my old boss sent an e-mail to my new boss stating that I did not do my job properly and the accounts that I was responsible for are all past due and as a result she is forced to pay late fees and her credit score is ruined. I was very angry that a letter like that was sent so I called my previous supervisor to ask what the problem was and she informed me that they are going to sue me because of this. I do not beleive that the accounts were as behind as they are claiming and I do not believe that I should be responsible as everyone was made aware of the fact that I was behind in my work. The reason I left was mainly due to the fact that I was expected to do way more work then one could resonably complete. Is it possible for my boss to sue me because of the past due bills? Also what recorse do I have against her for sending the e-mail to my current boss? Isn't that slander?

Last edited:
Its only slander if it isn't true.

I don't see them being able to sue you three months after you left. They had plenty of time to correct any problems. Besides that they are responsible for supervising you and if you were behind on the bills then it is partially their fault for not knowing.

Anybody can sue anybody if they can find an attorney dumb enough to take the case. You had no personal liability. A cease-and-desist letter might work regarding the emails to you current employer. Or not. Has your current employer discussed these emails and the situation that occurred with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back