Repairs, Maintenance Can my landlord charge me for renovations?

Heather j

Jurisdiction
New York
My landlord left a list of potential charges for repairs and cleaning after we move out.

The current owners bought this building from the original owners two years after I was already living here. Our unit had never been renovated AKA it was basically a shithole when we moved in.

The note left to us even mentions "Exterminating charges will be billed depending on the service rendered. Cancellation of an appointment with super or contractor will incur a $35.00 fee. There is a fee for a service call of $50.00."

Now I feel I should mention that this past winter I personally had to contact the super over 16 times due to a non-functioning boiler going out at least once a week, when the temperature dropped to a certain low. We also have to call our super pretty often for plumbing issues... so this new price list is very concerning.

Is it legal for my landlord to charge for all of this?

Attachments

• 94B6B598-86CD-421F-920C-682EEB808686.jpeg
    94B6B598-86CD-421F-920C-682EEB808686.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
it was basically a shithole when we moved in.

Moving into a shithole is on you. Just wanted to make that clear from the getgo. Assuming you inspected before signing and paying, you could have just walked away.

Is it legal for my landlord to charge for all of this?

Yes, it's legal to charge for those items if you DAMAGE those items during your tenancy or, in the case of keys, fail to return them.

As for cleaning, you are supposed to leave the unit as clean as it was when you got it. If you took many photos of the move in condition you might have some defense to spurious charges.

Pest control, on the other hand, depends on the terms and conditions of your lease. If the lease says you pay for it, you pay for it. If it doesn't say you pay for it, you don't pay for it.

If you are charged anything on move out that you feel is wrongfully charged you have the option of suing the landlord in NYC Housing Court.

Just as an FYI, you would be wise to study the NY landlord tenant statutes:

2018 New York Laws :: RPP - Real Property :: Article 7 - Landlord and Tenant

Note: Please do not post multiple threads on the same topic. I've deleted your duplicate post.

Back