Can my Employer Sue me

newbee995

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello,

I was worked in state of texas in EVC model(with H1b visa)

Employer A --Vendor B -- Client 1

I worked at client site for 6 months and then I moved to different state and started working in other client, named client 2, means a material change happened in my employment(H1b amendment). I left my older client(client 1) 5-6 months ago.

When I originally started my job with employer A , I signed employment contract agreement saying,after post employment , for one year I cannot join any of the clients either directly or indirectly.

Now, my old client Client 1 is ready to give me a Full time position.

Since my employer did a material change (as I moved to different state for a job), will the old employment agreement still valid or invalid?

I did not sign any new employment agreement when I moved to different state.

Kindly help how can I avoid this situation or get out of this problem,

Thanks,

Since my employer did a material change (as I moved to different state for a job), will the old employment agreement still valid or invalid?

The "material" change likely has nothing to do with your contract. You are still working for the same employer. From that standpoint the contract is likely still valid (unless the contract says otherwise).

When I originally started my job with employer A , I signed employment contract agreement saying,after post employment , for one year I cannot join any of the clients either directly or indirectly.

Without reading the contract, all I can tell you is that it might or might not be enforceable. Even if you got an attorney's opinion that it isn't, the answer to your post title is yes, the employer CAN sue you, and it will cost you a great deal of money to defend even if you win.

Now, my old client Client 1 is ready to give me a Full time position.

Ask your employer to release you from the contract.

Any time an employment contract is involved it is always best to take it to an employment or contract attorney for review & advice.

Back