Can my brother get a dna test even if the mother refuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liam89

Basically my brother has a child who is 14 months old but the child's mother wont let him be on the birth certificate and is using the child as a weapon at this current time my brother and our whole side of the family are not aloud to see the little girl who we all love and adore. This situation has been going on for over a year on and off and now it looks like he cant see the child at all for good an we can't and we are all very much heartbroken the mother does suffer from bipolar which we believe that this is why the situation is like this. He is a great Dad and we are all lovely to her. Is there anything in the law that can force a dna test to be done and his name to be on the birth certificate for legal rights to see his little girl. He doesn't want full custody he just wants to be a daddy who can see his little girl he wouldn't dream of taking her away from her mummy but we live in the 21st century it should be equal rights between mother and father and there child. He is currently on job seekers but he is a fully qualified electrician and is trying but there is alot out there in same situation is there any help he could have at all?. Thank you

Yes, your brother can have the court in the UK order DNA paternity testing. He can then request access from the courts.

He should speak with a solicitor as soon as possible.

Neither him being bi polar or on job seekers allowance gives him less of a chance to obtain parenting rights. Get a court order for DNA testing and ask him to speak to the family support counselor at the local council or borough he resides at.

Neither him being bi polar or on job seekers allowance gives him less of a chance to obtain parenting rights. Get a court order for DNA testing and ask him to speak to the family support counselor at the local council or borough he resides at.

We generally don't encourage answering really old questions in the family law sections - the laws can change rapidly even from state to state, let alone in a different country. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back