Can Landlord change due date of rent without writing new lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monica1984

Our landlord changed due date for our rent without notice last month and is using that as an excuse to evict us this month ( late payment). Was he supposed to write us a new lease or is the original lease void? I know a verbal agreement can not supercide a written agreement so were confused. we have talked to two other landlords we know and both of them said our landlord had to change our lease if he wanted the rent on another date from what is written on our lease.

The unit has fallen into disrepair but we were extremly patient with the repairs that have yet to be done and yet he still wishes to evict us quickly. are we wrong for thinking we didnt do enything were in the right and he is in the wrong.:eek:

If you have a written lease it should list when rent is due and when it is late. That is what you follow as opposed to a verbal notice.

I'm a bit confused though; your posting implies that your landlord discussed this change in the date rent was due and you agreed (at least verbally). Is that the case?

Gail

sorry. No we did not agree he caught my boyfriend on his way to work and just said rent was due at the 1st of the month. We had agreed to the second friday of each month and that is what is stated on our lease.
He told us that " by law he had the right to change "the due date.

A lease can be amended if ALL parties involved (the landlord/the tenants) agree to this.

Agreement is typically documented by an addendum to the lease that, again, all parties sign/initial to signify that are aware of this change and agree to it.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back