Can I take legal action...against coworkers?

Lsumonkey

So for the past few months a couple coworkers have decided they hate me. One day we are talking and the next week was like hell. Numerous things they kept doing to me. Calling me crazy making my job difficult to do etc. I get migraines from perfumes and candles. They started wearing tuns of perfume. (Everyone in office not supposed to be wearing anything). Then one day escalated and another girl had a moment and stared getting in my face and mouthing off and another girl chimed in and cussed me out. Those two are best friends so they will take up for the other.
So I was moved to the back of our Doctors office. It go better for a week or two. Now today I have had several patients call me and said that I called them. Clearly it wasn't me. It's supposed to be noted when you call someone. I can see her actually telling the Preson on the phone it was me. I called patient back and she said no you called me and gave ext number. I remember everyone I have either called it talked to within the last few days. I have very good memory.
I call them the office bullies. They have made my blood pressure go up (never had issues before) stomach hurts (never issues) anxiety
They can't get s rise out of me so they try to enforce the situation. Making me do extra work they themselves are supposed to be doing. My office is just sweeping it under the rug until it escalates. I want to nip this as soon as possible. They really are the bullies of our work. I recently I found that there were other instances between these girls and other coworkers. Need help. I can't look for another job. Don't make enough right now and starting new they are not going to pay me what I make now.

Last edited:
Based on what you posted, I don't see any basis for legal action. Most workplace "mistreatment/bullying" is not illegal. Some employees are just jerks. You have to put up with them or look for other employment.

You said there were instances of this against other coworkers also. You might all go together to your boss or HR (if you have a HR Dept.) & discuss with them. They may or may not do anything about it. Sometimes it is not a good idea to complain too much.

You do need to report to someone the bogus phone calls to patients and anything else that is affecting patients and/or your productivity. A lawsuit is not the way to go. You need to try and work this out within the workplace.

No you can't sue your coworkers for not being nice to you. If the fragrances bother you and they are already against the policy, mention it to whomever enforces the policies. Otherwise, you are an adult. You need to manage this yourself. Either work out your differences with these two or look for employment elsewhere. People do it everyday. Heck, I've done it when I didn't care for the work environment.

It seems like you are not being singled out if they are doing it to and/or have done it to other coworkers also. You all need to go to your boss or HR (if you have one) or go yourself. That's about all you can do. There is no legal action you can take against coworkers like suing them.

I do want to say a word on the fragrances as I have scent related allergies also and I know that's utterly miserable. (It's also a childish, petty and really, really mean-spirited thing for your co-workers to be doing.) The one and only legal point you may have to stand on is this one, and it's not a sure thing. If you have not done so already, you need to self-identify as having a condition that you believe qualifies under the ADA and formally request an accommodation. The employer IS entitled to medical confirmation FROM YOUR DOCTOR of your condition and what kind of accommodation you need. Please note that even if your ADA accommodation is approved it need not be the one you want or even the one the doctor recommends; it might be a breathing mask or a fan. All that matters is that it works.

However, you still don't get to file a lawsuit against your co-workers. The recourse in the event of an ADA violation would be against the employer, and only then after your got a right to sue letter from the EEOC or a state equivalent. And not until after you'd made an attempt to work it out with the employer.

And I still want an answer to my question, which was asked for a reason.

Did moving you to the back of the doctor's office help any re the perfume? If not, you will have to see what else your employer is able to do for you re the perfume.

Back