Can I sue Excelsior College for not awarding me my RN because of a mistake on their part?

csadams

Jurisdiction
New York
I am from Nebraska and recently finished my LPN to RN course work through Excelsior College in New York. I took the last requirement at their Lubbock, TX location after almost a year of waiting for an open date. This requirement is the CPNE and it is a crazy hard skills assessment. You are required to pass 4 skills stations within 2 tries and 3 patient care scenarios in 5 tries. The first day I passed all the skills but 1 (which I really should have passed but the tester wasn't paying attention and didn't see me do something. The second day I passed both of my patient care scenarios with no repeats. On the 3rd and final day I was to repeat my missed lab before completing my last patient care scenario. I completed it correctly but then the CA (testing site manager) said I used the wrong size needle. I knew I had not used the wrong needle and would have to appeal and asked to finish my last patient care assessment. She said no and that I had to leave. I appealed immediately when I got home and provided proof of my needle selection and I got a letter back stating that I was right and the needle was correct so I could retake the test without fee or penalty. It takes almost a year to get a testing date, they have changed all of the testing requirements to a new addition that I would have to study for six months. This takes time away from my children, money in lost wages as I am not working as an RN for the whole waiting period-again, plus the closest testing site to me is 12 hours away and I would have to pay for the travel and hotel again. Not to mention the test about gives you a nervous breakdown because it is so crazy hard!! I did everything right and because of a mistake they made I have to redo everything because the dean says I didn't do 3 patient care scenarios!! I asked to finish and they said no!! I passed 2 with no repeats when it takes most people 5 times to pass 3. Please tell me there is something I can do?

Since you apparently have significant monetary loss I suggest you consult an attorney in Albany (where the college is headquartered) who specializes in education related lawsuits and review your options.

Since you apparently have significant monetary loss I suggest you consult an attorney in Albany (where the college is headquartered) who specializes in education related lawsuits and review your options.
What kind of attorney would work with this kind of lawsuit?

Back