Can I still claim WC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKnight

I hurt myself about 2 months ago on the job. When I was hurting (my left shoulder) from lifting (a lot of) computer equipment. I called and e-mailed my Supervisor that I was hurting and I can't continue. He replied to do the best I can. Don't get me wrong but I like this Supervisor and had worked with him before.

I went to the Ortho Doc and was able to get 4 weeks light-duty note. I worked those 4 weeks and was given another Work Order of the same magnitude. I got another note that stated light-duty indef or unfurther notice. The indef is what raised the red flag! Also considering that I was not fully recuperated I am now suspended from work.

I am wanting to work but on light-duty until I heal. I was on light-duty before! I had known others who went on light-duty! There are many things that I can do that doesn't require lifting computer equipment (I am a tech). I also know that I have to report WC within 30 days. Considering that I DID notify my Supervisor and according to policy he was to file the report, could I still be covered by WC?

It also appears that my employer is wanting ALL or NOTHING - no light-duty. But my Supervisor said that they are in dire need of help and he wants me back and I want to work! He is willing to accomidate me with light-duty.

According to the physical job discription I need to be able to lift 25 lbs most of the time, 25 plus lbs sometimes and over 100 lbs rarely.

Here are the policies:

WORKERS' COMPENSATION
Workers' Compensation benefits will be provided to all employees for work-related injuries or illnesses. Any employee injured on the job must make an immediate report to the supervisor regardless of the extent of the injury.

Following an on-the-job injury/illness, an employee may be released for modified temporary duty by (the Employer) authorized medical provider.

FITNESS FOR DUTY
When an employee's physical and/or psychological ability to perform essential job functions is in question, the division manager may require the employee to submit to a physical and/or psychological assessment from a County authorized medical provider at County expense.

From RISK MANAGEMENT Policy Manual
Each employee shall:
(h) Report all accidents, no matter how minor, immediately to the supervisor or their designee.

Each incident/accident shall be investigated immediately and a report submitted to Safety within 48 hours by the injured employee's SUPERVISOR or their designee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back