Can I report my employer for fraud with unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel

I was terminated in retaliation for complaining against my manager for harassment. They gave me a letter stating the reason for my termination which was completely false. When I tried to file for unemployment they tried to deny it by sending the unemployment office a copy of the letter. I was able to immediately prove that they were lying based on documentation that I kept during the whole process. I was then awarded UI benefits.

Can I report them for deliberately providing false information to unemployment and if I can, is there a deadline to do so and what other information do I need to know?

Thank you.

Being approved for UI does not mean that the company did anything wrong. What did the employer actually say?

You were awarded UI benefits - I wouldn't pursue any further.

If you are asking if you can pursue this further as far as UI, no, you can not. UI frequently gets "differing opinions" as to why someone is no longer employed. The consequence for the employer is that they get "charged" for your benefits. Conversely, when a former employee loses, they do not get benefits. There is no fraud as far as that goes.

If you are asking if you have some sort of legal remedy based on the harassment and termination itself, that is a totally separate matter and UI has no part in that at all. Getting benefits doesn't help your case. If you want to post some of the details (and I understand if you would rather keep that off the internet) we can help point you in the best direction. Otherwise, your best bet is to consult with a lawyer to see if you have a case. The bar for getting UI is pretty low and does not in any way imply that there is any legal remedy at all. The bar for some sort of harassment suit is much, much higher.

I was terminated in retaliation for complaining against my manager for harassment.

As we noted, you can't pursue anything further re the UI & you were awarded benefits.

However, what type of harassment did you complain about - what did your manager do and/or say that you consider harassment. You might or might not have a wrongful termination/harassment claim. Who did you complain to?

OP: if you feel you were released in retaliation for making a SH complaint, then the federal or state EEOC would be your venue for filing a charge.

Please don't post in four month old threads. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back