Can I print and sell a picture of graffiti on the street?

raduga

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi,

I have some questions about using pictures with graffiti.
Can I print and sell my own picture of graffiti on the street?
Can I print and sell the picture of graffiti if I bought it on Shutterstock with extended license (for any commercial use)?
Can I print and sell the picture of graffiti if it's marked as "CC0 license"?

Thanks in advance,

I have no idea what abilities you have, but you can sell anything if you have possession of the thing and can find a buyer will to pay a price that you are willing to accept.

Can I print and sell the picture of graffiti if I bought it on Shutterstock with extended license (for any commercial use)?

Again, I have no idea what abilities you have. If your concern is legalities, the terms of the license obviously matter.

There is authority that graffiti is or may be protected by copyright, but the obvious issue is that the "artist"/copyright owner is rarely identifiable.

That could be infringement and you could get sued for it. Up to you if you want to take that chance.

Can I print and sell the picture of graffiti if it's marked as "CC0 license"?

Read the licenses. That's where those questions will be answered.

Yep, AJ is right. A lot of the taggers are pressing their copyright and trademark issues on their work when it suddenly starts showing up on commercial products.

That could be infringement and you could get sued for it. Up to you if you want to take that chance.

Read the licenses. That's where those questions will be answered.
CC0 license - free for any use. But I am not sure that photographer asked permission from graffiti artist... Is it the problem of one who posted or sold the picture, not my?

. Is it the problem of one who posted or sold the picture, not my?

Whatever difficulty the originator encounters because of improper use of the photo, would probably transfer to you in some form.

The photographer MIGHT be in trouble, but you certainly could be. as well. He can't give you permission to use someone else's material.

Back