Can I obtain custody of my great neice

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My nephew (19) and his girlfriend (15) has a baby in the system. They live in a deplorable house and was told to clean it up to get the baby back. It has been 5 months now, they have not cleaned it up, they have not provided any support to my sister who has been taking care of the baby, with the exception of providing formula only because of WIC. Neither of the kids want to work, I even got my nephew a job trying to help and he got fired 6 weeks into it. They visit once maybe twice a month, the girlfriend claims to have postpartum but is not seeking help and uses that as an excuse to not see her child. The grandmother has gotten all her kids taking away and is in the system as well and she also wants custody. The grandmother's boyfriend also got his child taken away for domestic violence. I have a video of the grandmother punching an elderly man in the face who her daughter accused of touching her butt. I also have various facebook posts and e-mails that show that they really don't care. I know the state wants to see the child with the mother and will do everything they can to make that happen. I would like to know if i stand a chance if I seek custody. Thanks, Concerned Aunt.

Less

I would like to know if i stand a chance if I seek custody.

If you're smart, you should stay a million miles away from a 19 year old that IMPREGNATES minor children.

The child is being taken care of by the taxpayers.

If that displeases you, you can HIRE yourself a lawyer and instruct the lawyer to seek guardianship of your nephew, Little Larry Lewis, or whatever the tykes name is.

My nephew (19) and his girlfriend (15) has a baby in the system.

Has your nephew's paternity been established? Is your nephew in prison or up on charges for having raped his girlfriend?

The grandmother has gotten all her kids taking away and is in the system as well and she also wants custody. The grandmother's boyfriend also got his child taken away for domestic violence. I have a video of the grandmother punching an elderly man in the face who her daughter accused of touching her butt.

I'm not sure which grandmother you're talking about or what any of this has to do with anything. I doubt the child protective services authority is going to place the child with a woman who has lost custody of her own children.

I would like to know if i stand a chance if I seek custody.

The state -- acting through the child protective services authority -- apparently has custody. The state might place the child with you, but you're not likely to get custody. Contact the case worker and discuss the matter with him or her and/or retain the services of a local attorney.

At 15 and 19, they should be in school not working, especially the 15 year old. Of course they shouldn't be parents at that age but given the dysfunction in the family, it is hardly surprising these two ended up taking an ill advised path. The 19 year old also violated the law in impregnating a 14 year old child. I can't follow who the grandmother is and if this is the one who has the baby and a boyfriend with a history of violence. The young mother is entirely within her rights to allow the baby to stay with anyone she wishes. With her being so young, 99% of the time it is going to be one of the baby's grandparents who steps in. She can't drive, arrange for her own or the baby's insurance, must legally be enrolled in school, and has limits on how many hours and in what industries she may work. Few would be the parents who would welcome early grandparenthood. That is not evidence of anything remarkable. Neither is a video of someone attacking the person who violated their child. It may not be the best example of conflict resolution, but it says nothing about their suitability to parent. None of this changes the fact that you have no legal claim to the baby at all. You can request the child be placed with you but have no legal claim to make that happen.

Back