Can I get my money back?

Heatherm

Jurisdiction
Virginia
On Feb 26th I went to a used car dealership. I was looking to make payments on a mini van. Very quickly they set me up with a 2008 mini van that they said was all they had in my payment range. This was fine, and I continued to sign paperwork. Originally they said the van would take 2 days to get to me because it was having shocks replaced. That was fine. I put 1500 down and waited for their call. Finally after a week of calling and getting excuse after excuse they said it was ready! They delivered the van to my house and when I got in I seen 3 lights were on. The check engine light and 2 others that I still don't know what they mean. They set me up with their mechanic and said they would fic the problem. In the last month I have been to the mechanic 4 times, they say a fuse is bad in the vehicle. But I have had 2 different mechanics look at it on my own time and they both said the transmission is going out. I relayed that information to the mechanic through the dealership and he said he would set me up an appointment. It has been almost 2 weeks since I last spoke to them and they won't return my calls. At this point I just want my money back. I signed a "as is" contract, but nowhere in the car fax does it say anything about transmission problems. Do they have to give me my money back?

The time to have a mechanic look at it was before the purchase, especially since you bought the van 'as-is'. An expensive lesson.

It was definitely a lesson learned. It was my first time ever entering a contract and didn't read through it until I started experiencing problems.

It was definitely a lesson learned. It was my first time ever entering a contract and didn't read through it until I started experiencing problems.

If you ever consider purchasing any used car, ALWAYS have the vehicle evaluated by a mechanic of your choice before agreeing to any contract and handing over the cash.

The mechanic might charge you $50 or $100 to evaluate the vehicle, but it could save you from buying a rusty, dilapidated bucket of bolts and THOUSANDS of dollars for a HUNK-A-JUNK that stops running 24 hours after you drive it away!

Back