Can i get in trouble for moving out at 17 without parental permisson?

M

Maexx

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I turn 17 in two weeks, and i want to move out. I already have a job and i can support myself and take care of myself also. But ill be moving in with my 19 year old boyfriend (has his on place, very safe) and im scared that my parents would try and press charges for "kidnap" or even worse. I know if i mention moving out to my parents they will say no. But i live with my father and my step mother an i do not get along with my step mother what so ever and have had many of issues with her and have had the police invloved many of times and everytime i tell my father i want to move out and he always says no. I dont feel conformable where i live and i get no respect. When i turn 17 should i mention it to my father again or just leave? I need to know what could happen if i just leave...

If you move out at 17 your father can come get you and bring you back home.

A quirk in the way the law of your state was written means that law enforcement may - please note that "may" does not mean "will" - refuse to bring home a runaway 17 year old who is in a safe place. But make no mistake, that quirk places no limitations on your parents themselves and does not prohibit the police from doing so either.

When you are 18 you can move out and no one can stop you. While you are 17 you live where your parents say you live.

Leaving at 17 could cause all sorts of trouble for you and your boyfriend.Tough it out for 12 more months. Keep your head down, stay out of trouble and do your best to get along with step mom.
You're certainly not in a unique situation. My guess would be that a large percentage of teens "can't wait" to get out from under from parental control. Wait. For many reasons. Wait.

Back