Naturalization, Citizenship Can i get Dual Citizenship - born and raised in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine91068

I came to this country 22 years ago from Germany. I was offered the US Citizenship back in 1993, but I decline since I had to surrender my german citizenship. I have a green card and I renew it every 10 years. I was told that the law changed, and I can get dual citizenship now. But looking online, I still don't see it being an option. Who can tell me if I can do this? Is it the German Embassy, the INS?

As a dual citizen myself, I can tell you that it would be more accurate to say that the US reluctantly acknowledges that other nations recognize dual nationality. The process is much easier if one or both parents is of US citizenship.

Both of my parents are German. I moved here and got my green card. Nobody in my family lives in the USA, they are all still residing in Germany

I'm not seeing where a non-American (i.e. a foreign national who does not have at least one parent born in the US) is able to apply for US Citizenship without renouncing all foreign alliances - which would mean your German citizenship.

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/dual_nationality/

My situation is different from yours - my mother is an American citizen. When I moved to the US as a minor, I was accepted as a US citizen under my mother's citizenship. The consulate of my birth country advised me that if were asked if I were a US citizen, to say yes; they would continue to recognize me as a citizen until or unless I signed something that said I was not. Since the US considers me to be a citizen born abroad, no one has ever asked me to sign anything of the kind.

But they would you.

Talk to the German embassy and see what they say. But based on the link I posted, I'm not seeing an option.

I'm not seeing where a non-American (i.e. a foreign national who does not have at least one parent born in the US) is able to apply for US Citizenship without renouncing all foreign alliances - which would mean your German citizenship.

Many Canadians apply for (and obtain) U.S. Citizenship, without renouncing their Canadian citizenship.

Many Canadians apply for (and obtain) U.S. Citizenship, without renouncing their Canadian citizenship.

I agree with you re Canada: Unlike the law in effect in Canada up to 1977, the current Citizenship Act allows Canadian citizens to acquire a foreign nationality without automatically losing their Canadian citizenship. Since February 15, 1977, a Canadian citizen who acquires another nationality may retain Canadian citizenship, unless he or she voluntarily applies to renounce it and the application is approved by a citizenship judge. The current act thus makes it possible to have two or more citizenships and allegiances at the same time for an indefinite period.

However, cbg was talking about Germany & I agree with her information there.

Canada happens to be my birth country, Natey. But if you look at the link I posted, it's specific to the OP's country. And I'm not seeing a way for her to do it. What she might be able to do if she were Canadian is irrelevant.

If Germany has a similar relationship with the US, fine. But I've found nothing to suggest that it does. Have you?

I know at least 2 German-born citizens who hold a U.S. and German citizenship & passport.
I believe they are required to use the German passport when entering Germany and the U.S. passport when entering the U.S.
Not sure what Germany would do if they found out about the U.S. citizenship, but what exactly does the U.S. do to enforce said renunciation?

That varies with the situation. A cousin of mine was threatened with deportation.

I don't mean to digress, but since the 9/11 incident, the BCIS (formerly INS) has been given a lot of authority over non-citizens at the U.S. Port of Entry, including the ability for Immigration Officers to revoke Green Cards and deport people for dubious reasons.
I'd say get a U.S. Citizenship and get out of the jurisdiction of the BCIS; one will then be under the jurisdiction of the U.S. State Department: a more reasonable department to deal with.

Are you talking to me, or the OP?

My cousin's incident happened years ago, long before 9-11 and probably right around the change in the relationship with Canada in 1977.

Are you talking to me, or the OP?

Generally, to anyone holding a Green Card for a long time, who might get confronted by the BCIS on entry.

Many years ago (1960's, 70's?) one just had to show up in the U.S. and request immigration, and it was very easy to obtain. It has become harder to obtain over the years, and it is becoming easier to lose it (e.g. if a GC holder stays outside the U.S. for over a year, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back