can i get an annulment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

queenleeanne

I'm in the Army overseas, and after a DUI and detox, I went on leave for 5 days to Michigan and re-married my ex. I don't know what I was thinking. He stayed in the states, and now 4 months later I know I've made a huge mistake. Could I have been under duress? And is there any way to get an annulment?

I don't know that an annulment is available. It is frequently used when a marriage should be void or illegal, e.g. one party did not have the right mind (capacity) to enter into a marriage because they were drunk, one party was coerced by being held at gunpoint to do so, one party entered into marriage solely to get a VISA, one party was already married but not divorced, etc.

Other than reasons like the above and several others of the like, i'm not sure annulment is available in your state. I'm not aware of annulment being available for having second thoughts several months later. If you have an uncontested divorce (mutual consent of the parties) it might not be so difficult.

Annulment

What is the best way or a stradegy to prove a green card marriage? A case that is very similar to mine is:

40 Cal.App.3d 917 Rabie v Rabie

1. Married 2/14/02
2. Filed legal separation 6/2003. He became abusive after receiving conditional green card (I did not make the connection at that time, I just wanted to stop the abuse). He promised to change and stop the abuse.
3. Filed another legal separation 2/13/04, but fearful of retaliation so held off, finally on
4. Amended to Nullity 4/1/04 with a TRO.
5. 4/21/04 granted permanent DVRO. He has lawyer.
6. I get lawyer but he sits on my file, never proceeds with Nullity, stays on defense.
7. I substitute myself as attorney.
8. Now I am trying to figure out how to move forward with my Nullity case.
9. I have 2 witnesses to his desire to get Green Card, 1 is ex-fiancee', the other is his brother's girlfriend (she is the one that gave me the last piece of the puzzle, that he just married me for the green card).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back