Can I file a declaratory relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CETASULA

I am a tenant in Santa Monica, where there is rent control, for the last 28 years. The only time anything was done in my unit, it was in 1987, painting, changing carpet, changing drapes, but a rent increase petition was granted, and we ended up paying for everything, over the course of 6 years. Then, in January 1994, after the earthquake, they painted my apartment, for no reason as my apartment did not suffer any damage, and again, all the expenses for the repairs done in the building, was divided between the tenants, and we paid for, over the course of 5, 6 years.

From August 1980 (date at which I rented the apartment) to this date, I have changed the carpet twice, painted twice, changed the drapes.

Today, its that time of the year again. I want to change my carpets and paint the place. But I also want to paint my kitchen and bathroom cabinets, the doors. I will do exactly what they are doing everytime a unit is vacated to rent it to a new tenant. In order to avoid any problem, I asked permission to do so. They refused, and forbid me to do so.

Let me also say, during the past 27 years, I was sued 5 times, every time I won. They would do anything to have me out. Ofcourse, if I move, they can remodel the place, and rent it for more than twice of what I pay.

I was told that, I could file a declaratory relief, go before a judge, and say that what I want to do is take care of the place and do exactly the same thing that they are doing. When I moved in the unit, I was 47, now I am 74, I could drop dead tomorrow or live another 10 years. I am not planning on moving, I love my place, and I will never be able to find something comparable for this price. Now, does that mean I have to live in this place as it is? which is becoming more and more unbearable?

Can someone tell me what to do?

Thank You.

Ceta

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back