Can I fight an unsafe left turn ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdhemphill

I was traveling south on Cherry Ave, entered the left turn lane at 28th Street in Long beach. I was in the lane while the light was green. Light had just turned yellow, car was speeding toward me going North in the number one lane. The oncoming car was not in the intersection while the street light was yellow, car began to speed up just as the oncoming car entered the crosswalk. I began to make my turn when i noticed that the oncoming car was going to stop before entering intersection, instead, the car continued driving into the intersection on the yellow light. Once, i noticed the car not stopping, i stopped from making my turn and let the oncoming car proceed. The oncoming car was a police unit, which swerved to the right after passing my car which was stopped in the intersection on the red light.
Once the officer's car was past my car, i made my turn, that is when I looked out my side view mirror and noticed the officer, turn on the flashing lights, and make an abrupt u-turn.
The officer got into the left turn lane, then stopped me about 50 feet from the corner.

That is when the officer wrote me a ticket for unsafe left turn. Am i liable for this when I was previously in the left turn lane, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. When the officer failed to yield to my car on a yellow light in the intersection? There was no accident and my car was not moving once i noticed the officers intention to not stop but continue through the intersection?

Sounds like the ticket was warranted, you only turn left if it is safe and you must wait until it is safe and there is no traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back