Can I do this?

danielfederico

Jurisdiction
California
I have a bunch of paintings hanging on my walls and I would like to sell them. I would like to travel with them to the US and look for buyers in the Los Angeles area. I live in Mexico (and I am a Mexican citizen with a B1/B2 VISA)

Is there a legal way to do this? Can I just tell the US government: "Look, I'm traveling to the USA with a bunch of paintings I want to sell in LA and want to declare them and pay whatever duty there is to pay. Then go back to Mexico"

I have a bunch of paintings hanging on my walls and I would like to sell them. I would like to travel with them to the US and look for buyers in the Los Angeles area. I live in Mexico (and I am a Mexican citizen with a B1/B2 VISA)

Is there a legal way to do this? Can I just tell the US government: "Look, I'm traveling to the USA with a bunch of paintings I want to sell in LA and want to declare them and pay whatever duty there is to pay. Then go back to Mexico"
Do you have proof of ownership?

Is there a reason that you don't want to sell them in Mexico? What kind of paintings are these...famous artists or not well known?

Yes, most likely I can sell them at a higher price in the US to collectors that may take good care of them.

These are Mexican artists, more or less well known locally. I mean no Frida Kahlos or Diego Riveras, but these are very nice works.

Before you pack them up I suggest you contact art galleries and auction houses (that specialize in art) and find out if there is even a market for the works of those artists.

"Nice works" don't often translate to "nice money."

Is there someone that can provide me with legal advice?

Yes, you HIRE yourself an attorney, and he or she will gladly dispese legal advice, even giving you a written LEGAL opinion regarding your dilemma.

Now, if you're seeking FREE legal advice, that is never going to occur.

FREE legal advice is akin to seeking TEETH inside the mouth of a chicken!

Yes, you HIRE yourself an attorney, and he or she will gladly dispese legal advice, even giving you a written LEGAL opinion regarding your dilemma.

Thank you!

This is exactly what I'll be doing.

Interesting response. I thought giving free legal advice is what this forum was all about. From the home page:

Ask Legal Questions
TheLaw.com has provided free legal help, legal forms, advice and assistance from attorneys and the community since 1995.

Interesting response. I thought giving free legal advice is what this forum was all about. From the home page:

Ask Legal Questions
TheLaw.com has provided free legal help, legal forms, advice and assistance from attorneys and the community since 1995.

Some matters are beyond the scope of a forum such as this.

Ask Legal Questions

And from the bottom of every page:

Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege.

I think what you are asking is what is going to happen when you stop at a border crossing with a car full of paintings.

I found two search results that might shed some light on that.

Importing Art Into the U.S. - USA Customs Clearance

Importing personal and commercial original works of art (cbp.gov)

If you have more questions on the subject, contact the CBP.

Back