Can I date someone at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabney

There is a woman I liked at work. I wanted to ask her out. My friends have told me that you cannot date anybody on the job at work and I want to know if this is true. Can you get fired for dating somebody at work? What is the problem?

The law neither prohibits you dating someone from work, nor gives you a guaranteed right to date someone at work. Yes, it is theoretically possible that you could be fired for dating someone at work. Whether that would or would not happen in your case is not something we can assess. Whether you, specifically, can date this woman without fear of employment repercussions depends on your own employer's policies.

As to what the problem is, depending on your relative positions there is the possibility of conflicts of interest while you are dating, and potential sexual harassment issues if you break up. In house dating can cause very serious legal problems for employers.

Also, it's not a good idea to send e-mails at work to one another - can be a potential problem.

The law neither prohibits you dating someone from work, nor gives you a guaranteed right to date someone at work. Yes, it is theoretically possible that you could be fired for dating someone at work. Whether that would or would not happen in your case is not something we can assess. Whether you, specifically, can date this woman without fear of employment repercussions depends on your own employer's policies.
How would I know my employers policies. Its not like we talked about dating people from work in my interview or on the job.

How would I know my employers policies. Its not like we talked about dating people from work in my interview or on the job.

Common sense. The way it was explained to me many, many years ago by a crass, older supervisor to a dumb, thought he knew it all punk (ME), "Boy, even a dog doesn't POOP in its dinner bowl!"

In other words, work is about MONEY, not FUNNY.

It's much easier to REFRAIN, than try to EXPLAIN.

Be aware your employer can fire you for any reason.

Just to clarify, the employer can fire you for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie religion, race, gender...) or unless there is a binding employment contract contrary to the termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back