Quiet Enjoyment Can I break my lease? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

desspan

PA
My lease rolled over for 1 yr. as of 1/1/2008. However, living in my apt. has become unbearable for the following reasons: my landlord was living in the apt. above us but moved down to the basement (no insulation in the bldg. at all) he leaves the property for 24hrs. at a time leaving his music blaring all through the day & night and if its not his music its his alarm clock, also, he is constantly fighting with his wife or someone else and yelling/screaming for hours at a time at least twice a week, he was sent to jail overnight for abusing his wife (we have had to listen to abuse several times its horrible) also this weekend we had to call the cops on him for trying to abuse her again in our driveway after several hours of yelling, so loud!!! Neighbors can back this up as well as police reports. I am 4 months pregnant and just can not take it anymore its totally stressing me out. How can we get out of this lease legally? (my lease is generic and does not specifically state anything concerning the right to quiet enjoyment, but I was hoping the laws enforce that right).

I am sorry you rin such a situation however there is nothing in your post that suggest a breach by landlord. You may discuss a buyout of lease but I suspect that will cost you some money

so you dont think there is any way to get out of it due to the fact that i feel totally unsafe living there with him when he has constant violent outbursts, cops are called, etc...?

Those actions are not a breach of lease. You might and I mean might have some small leverage due to his alledged actions. Consult an Attorney familar with your states Tenant/Landlord Laws. You might even flat out ask to be let out of lease. If he actually threatens or causes harm to you "directly" you could have cause but again take the important information and a copy of your lease to an Attorney

thanks for the feedback, we plan on approaching him and asking to be let out of our lease due to our baby coming and the fact that the envirnoment in the bldg. is just not suitable, incase he doesnt go for it i just want to know all of my options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back