Can I break a lease if my car gets broken into multiple times?

Raynne

Jurisdiction
California
Since I have lived in my apartment, almost 2 years ago, I have had my car broken into 4 times, my laundry stolen and most recently my bike stolen. Am I able to break the lease due to not feeling safe?
After this month I only have a month and a half left on my lease.
There are other problems like roaches and the landlord making me take out the window air conditioning while everyone else was allowed to keep theirs. What should I do?

Since I have lived in my apartment, almost 2 years ago, I have had my car broken into 4 times, my laundry stolen and most recently my bike stolen. Am I able to break the lease due to not feeling safe?
After this month I only have a month and a half left on my lease.
There are other problems like roaches and the landlord making me take out the window air conditioning while everyone else was allowed to keep theirs. What should I do?

With only 40-45 days left on your lease, I suggest you give your landlord WRITTEN NOTICE (as required by YOUR lease) that you WON'T be renewing your lease. You'll be exercising your option to leave on the last day of FEBRUARY, 2016 (or whatever end date your lease states).

To do anything more or less WILL cause you great regret and cost you SERIOUS money!!!!

Am I able to break the lease due to not feeling safe?

Sure, you can leave any time you want to.

Just count on losing your deposit and getting sued or sent to collections for unpaid rent and getting your credit trashed.

Or, you can follow Army Judge's instructions and tough it out until the lease is up.

Meantime, find a DIY Pest control store and buy professional roach spray and a one gallon sprayer and you'll drive the roaches elsewhere.

If you only have a month & a half left on your lease, give notice that you are leaving when it ends. If you do otherwise, it might cause you problems you don't want. Good luck.

Back