Can I be sued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeb2007

I moved in with a friend six months after her boyfriend dumped her and left her with the apartment that she couldn't afford by herself. After a while, I couldn't deal with the living situation (her life was miserable so she wanted me to be miserable too), so I told her that I would be moving out. I gave her two months to find a new roomie or a new apartment just to be fair (since we had no formal agreement about the apartment as she never had my name placed on the lease and didn't remove her ex's either). Eventually she decided to just move into a one bedroom apartment under her another person's in the same community (because the landlord wouldn't grant her a transfer and this person lives out of state), so I decided to keep the apartment until I found an apartment for myself. I also loaned her a large sum of money for her to use towards her security deposit for her new apartment.

Not long after, I ended my friendship with her due to issues that had nothing to do with the apartment. She now HATES me.

I've been in my own apartment for two months, and her landlord is now claiming that two months rent was not paid (the month before I moved and the month after because they are claiming that notice wasn't given in time) and is charging for basically anything and everything else that he can. I have the receipt for the month before I moved out, but my former friend is saying that the landlord says the rent was more than two months behind and that whatever was paid in that last month went towards whatever balance was leftover. (This is NOT true. He had sued for non-payment of rent, but the balance was paid in full before the court papers were submitted. My former friend was supposed to show up in court to prove that it was paid, but didn't so the landlord won a judgement for advance payment of the next month's rent, which I paid in full, but unfortunately I can't find that receipt and the landlord never reported the payment to the court.)

My former friend at first told me I was responsible for the entire amount that they are charging her (well over $2000), but I explained to her in detail why the charges were bogus, and if they are proven to be accurate (which is highly doubtful), that she would be responsible for them and that I would pay an equal portion. She then told me that whatever she feels she's responsible for, she is taking out of the money that she owes me! Meaning I am at a loss of the money I loaned her PLUS she expects me to come out of pocket more for these bogus charges. I've asked her repeatedly to argue these charges with the landlord/attorney, but she refuses saying she knows that they are right and I should just pay her!

Am I really going to have to pay this outrageous amount? I can't fight this with the landlord/attorney myself because my name was never on the lease, only hers and her ex's (the bill she sent to me has their names on it). Also, we have no formal agreement about me being in the apartment without her because in her lease it said that she couldn't sublet and to do so would be a violation of her lease. Plus, she really can't prove that she lived elsewhere considering her current apartment is not leased in her name. I really don't care about losing the money I gave to her, I just want her out of my life for good! So much for trying to help out a "friend"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back