Can I be sued for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gteam2

CA

I'll try to be as descriptive as possible without taking too much time. Feel free to let me know if I need to give you guys more info.

I emailed a hotel in thailand about shooting a wedding for free for them. We had a trade. That I would shoot the wedding and they would give me two room nights for their rights usage of the images. Here was the agreement.

I specifically stated in the email that I would give their client the images the day of the wedding on disc, take the images home, work on them and give those worked on images to the hotel. I would then offer those worked on images to their client if they wanted to purchase the PP'd ones.

Now, the clients became extremely upset that they didn't get the pp'd images for free (once seeing the difference they didn't want the PP'd ones - this is normal and usually the client has no problem paying extra for the prints as they normally know before hand that this is the case). The hotel then got mad at me as well. I told them our initial agreement and that they didn't let me speak with the clients and that they messed up by not explaining this to them - they disagreed. They don't offer a detailed description of what our agreement was; just that it's not what I am saying what it was.

Here's the tricky part. **Disclaimer: I am an idiot for not saving the email - and for not having a proper contract. I know this now so please don't beat me senseless for a mistake I will not make again. I am a total, total idiot** I don't have the email with our agreement and neither does the hotel. I have all the emails he replied to and the only one he didn't reply to was the one with our detailed agreement. Now, I have not made money off the prints (the clients LOVED them, by the way) because the clients feel wronged (As they should since the hotel told them I am holding out on them in hopes of making an extra buck). So, I've lost money that I always make and expected to this time. The clients also live in the local area (local to the hotel - thailand) and will likely receive the images from the hotel anyway (since the hotel thinks I am wrong and that the client deserves the images.). Now, this is thailand, land of piracy, and I know that once I give my images to this hotel they will have no problems or consequences in giving the client the images. I told the hotel that I will give them the images immediately if they simply apologize to their client for overstating what I would give them. They refuse and now say that they are going to take me to court in CA for breach of contract. I said, "what contract?" They also said if we go to court that they will try to take me to the cleaners - suing for all of their travel and legal fees as well.

Would they likely win? Would I likely be sued for anything more than just having to give them the images? Could I be sued for tens of thousands here? I just really don't think they have anything legitimate against me. Any advise is welcome. Thanks so much for your help!

Without a contract you may lose. Any good business man would have printed and put in a file so the court will think you are probably not telling the truth. They can sue for all the monies but it doesn't mean they will win, but they could. Just give the couple and/or hotel the images and learn a lesson on how to do better business. Contract with the hotel and the couple. Also, doesn't the couple have to agree in writing for the hotel to use their images? Sometimes the price of doing business is to lose money. SO bite the bullet on this one. BUT get your agreement in writing that they will not sue you in exchange for the images and use return receipt mail if you send the images through mail.

Well, this wasn't exactly a proper business transaction. Granted, I made a big mistake on not at least copying the email sent to the hotel with our agreement, I have only shot a handful of weddings and I originally was just shooting the wedding for free with no requirements of me (just that I would give the hotel's clients a disc of images) so that I could have some wedding pictures in a tropical location while I was on vacation. Then it was a really non-chalant "how about two nights if the hotel can use the photos?" I have every email the hotel sent to me and every email I sent accept one - the one that has the original agreement in it. The reason I have all the emails I sent to the hotel is that he responded to every email I sent (and my initial sent email was attached). The only email he didn't respond to is the email with our agreement. I can show all of this through my email account so it shouldn't look like I just happened to lose "whoops" the contract conveniently. In fact, the hotel has other emails from before the agreement saved so if anyone possibly got rid of the email conveniently, it would be them since they save my emails before and just happened to not save the important one.

All in all, how could they win? I'm not even a registered business (if that makes a difference) - this is my first year pursuing photography - so my lack of contract mistake should make some sense due to my inexperience instead of looking like I am lying. Plus, all of our emails after the problem, I believe, show that I was willing to bend, am still willing to give the photos (if they just apologize), and that the hotel likely didn't really read our initial agreement (they have had a regular problem with overlooking important points in emails and haven't offered a detailed description of what they think our agreement was - even though I have asked - they just say I'm wrong).

You are willing to go to court over an apology? Just give them what they want and learn from your mistakes.

I don't mean to sound rude, really I don't so hear me out :) I really am wanting legal advice as opposed to business advice. My main question is that with the new info I listed, how exactly would I lose? And, more importantly, how would I lose more than just having to give the images (i.e. travel expenses and legal fees)?

Also, it's not just an apology. I am basically handing these images over to the hotel in the piracy capital of the world - Thailand. I have been terribly mistreated and now have good reason to believe that the hotel will break our original agreement and give my images to their clients. There are other things that I think broke our original agreement as well (such as having two other photographers that I had to fight with [in the "fight for the brides attention" sense - we got along great] nearly ruining every one of my shots. The hotel acknowledged that they knew this before hand and should have told me. That made it to where I didn't get what I was there for, so I think that they almost broke our agreement with that).

Without a contract you may lose. Any good business man would have printed and put in a file so the court will think you are probably not telling the truth. They can sue for all the monies but it doesn't mean they will win, but they could. Just give the couple and/or hotel the images and learn a lesson on how to do better business. Contract with the hotel and the couple. Also, doesn't the couple have to agree in writing for the hotel to use their images? Sometimes the price of doing business is to lose money. SO bite the bullet on this one. BUT get your agreement in writing that they will not sue you in exchange for the images and use return receipt mail if you send the images through mail.

Excellent and accurate legal advice.

I found the original email through my ISP. It says what I recalled - not what the hotel recalled. Now I know they have nothing on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back