Can I be sued for taking the tag off my car if she refused to give it back

A

alexis4534

Jurisdiction
Florida
I agreed to let a friend use my car, there was a verbal agreement and she paid me 1000 to use the car. The car is registered and insured in my name, I do not have the title so I did not sell it and there was no bill of sale due to a lien I have on the car so either way the car couldn't be sold, she knew of this. This occurred in February 2016. I told her as long as she was the only person driving then it was ok. I got wind of activities happening in my car that were not safe and not good for my well being so I ask her to return the car and she said I had to give her her money back she paid and the money she spent for repairs. She was doing illegal activity so I cancelled my insurance and tag and turned the tag in, can she sue me?

If I were you I would go get my car pronto. I don't think just turning in the tag is going to protect you in any way if she is involved in an accident and now you have no insurance either. Verbal agreements are valid but difficult to prove. Did your verbal agreement mention payment of repairs? Did your verbal agreement include a limited time-frame that the $1000 covered? She could possibly try to sue in small claims court, but I don't see it as very likely. Get your car back, pay her whatever, if anything you think is reasonable.

She was doing illegal activity

You committed insurance fraud by not revealing to your insurance company that you rented your car out to somebody else.

And now you are breaking the law by not having insurance and tags on a car that you own and is being operated on the streets.

One foolish act on top of another on top of another.

Get the car back, not matter what you have to pay her, before this whole thing blows up in your face with catastrophic financial consequences.

Back