Can I be pulled over for a primary offense and be ticketed for a secondary offense?

Joe_5653

Jurisdiction
California
Can I be pulled over for a primary offense and be ticketed for a secondary offense even when the primary offense was actually legal and I don't get a ticket for the primary offense? Sorry if this is confusing. This is my first question on this site. Thank you.

Can I be pulled over for a primary offense and be ticketed for a secondary offense even when the primary offense was actually legal and I don't get a ticket for the primary offense? Sorry if this is confusing. This is my first question on this site. Thank you.

Yes, you can be stopped for committing violation XYZ, and be cited for ABC, DEF, GHI, & JKL.

Heck, a driver can be stopped for violation XYZ, warned, and released without paper.

Here's an example. I have just gotten a new car and I have dealer plates on it. Let's say a cop pulls me over for that but I show him my cars registered and it's new so he doesn't ticket me for that. Then he notices that I have a provisional licence and am driving another minor which is a secondary offense. Can he ticket me for that even thouh I got nothing from the initial reason he pulled me over?

Here's an example. I have just gotten a new car and I have dealer plates on it. Let's say a cop pulls me over for that but I show him my cars registered and it's new so he doesn't ticket me for that. Then he notices that I have a provisional licence and am driving another minor which is a secondary offense. Can he ticket me for that even thouh I got nothing from the initial reason he pulled me over?

In a word, YES.

He could see a dead body on your back seat, and investigate that crime, too.

Heck, she could stop you just to say hello, or to compliment you on your driving, ask for your license, and you have none.

A police officer has many options as she enforces our laws.

Back