Can I be double taxed on personal propety taxes on my vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemaco

Unknown to us until this week we just received a bill from the state of Kentucky charging us personal property tax on our vehichles for Jan-Dec of 2010. We moved from the state of Ky to Missouri in August of 2010. We registered our vehicles in Mo and paid personal property tax on those vehicles when we registered them here. So my question is can KY charge us tax on those vehicles for Aug-Dec when we didn't live in KY and we already paid taxes once for that time period in MO. Isn't that double taxation?
Plus they are accuring interest on this daily while we are trying to get information from the to protest it which has not been easy to obtain either.

Unknown to us until this week we just received a bill from the state of Kentucky charging us personal property tax on our vehichles for Jan-Dec of 2010. We moved from the state of Ky to Missouri in August of 2010. We registered our vehicles in Mo and paid personal property tax on those vehicles when we registered them here. So my question is can KY charge us tax on those vehicles for Aug-Dec when we didn't live in KY and we already paid taxes once for that time period in MO. Isn't that double taxation?
Plus they are accuring interest on this daily while we are trying to get information from the to protest it which has not been easy to obtain either.

When you submit PROOF of the vehicles removal, payment of taxes in another state, registration in another state; KY will correct their oversight or error.

No, you shouldn't have been taxed for property removed to another state by the state in which you formerly housed said property.

Write them a letter, providing PROOF of what you've done and when, and they should work with you to fix it!

You only owe taxes from January through August of 2010 to KY, and from August through December to MO.

I proved them proof and they are still telling me that due to a new statue I do have to pay the full year and I am being charged interest on top of that.
And they are advising me to pay it now due to interest accruing and then try to attempt to fight it and see if I can get a refund if possible.

I proved them proof and they are still telling me that due to a new statue I do have to pay the full year and I am being charged interest on top of that.
And they are advising me to pay it now due to interest accruing and then try to attempt to fight it and see if I can get a refund if possible.

If that is what they are saying, you might want to heed their advice.
Otherwise, those crooks will intercept what they claim you owe them from your tax refund.
Or, they'll attach your wages.
With any government, resistance is futile.
They don't have to prove you owe them anything, they just assert it!

This is wrong! We are being taxed twice for the same thing by two different states and by one state when we didn't live there.
Then we are being pentalized for not knowing we owed something we shouldn't have owed.
Its outrageous and then the government wonders why people can't afford to keep their homes or pay their bills and are so fed up with them right now.
How can they treat citizens this way and we have no where to turn to for justice.
Its unbelievable to me.

If they insist that you owe, have them reference the new statute that supposedly gives them authority to collect this money. Just because someone on the phone said that you have to pay does not mean that you have to pay.
If they can't reference the statute so that you can verify their claim then do as suggested above- mail them proof of registration in the new state for the time in question. If you were not a resident of Kentucky during those months then I highly doubt they have any authority to tax you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back