Assault & Battery Can I be charged?

chris57

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My landlord's husband and two of my roommates assaulted me. Only the landlord's husband was charged and arrested. The only people present during the attack were the people that assaulted me and myself. My worry is that I don't have any witnesses and the landlord's husband has a friend that is a police officer working in the same department as the arresting officers. The arresting officers were completely on my side, but they might have been swayed to make the police report more neutral due to my landlord's husband's friend, who works in that police department.

Can I be charged with anything? What will the outcome of this be? Everyone else involved was neither hurt nor injured, or sought medical attention. I only had a bloody nose, which was documented by the arresting officers.

No one that posts or frequents this board was there, either.

If you are innocent, even if you're charged, plead not guilty, ask if you qualify for a public defender, admit to nothing, discuss nothing, and defend yourself in court.

You did not describe anything that suggests there is a reason for you to be charged with an offense.
I understands your concern about the officers, but I bet it is unlikely they would falsify their reports over this.
Be patient and let the system work this out.

Can I be charged with anything?

In the abstract and without any relevant facts, virtually anything is possible.

What will the outcome of this be?

My crystal ball is broken.

As far as I can understand the situation, you have not been charged with anything or even arrested. Nor has anyone given you any reason to think you might be arrested or charged. Your post seems to be based entirely on the friendship between your landlord's husband and a police officer who apparently has no involvement in the situation.

Seems to me you ought to be focusing on finding a new place to live.

In the abstract and without any relevant facts, virtually anything is possible.

My crystal ball is broken.

As far as I can understand the situation, you have not been charged with anything or even arrested. Nor has anyone given you any reason to think you might be arrested or charged. Your post seems to be based entirely on the friendship between your landlord's husband and a police officer who apparently has no involvement in the situation.

Seems to me you ought to be focusing on finding a new place to live.

My concern is that there were 4 people involved, it's my word vs theirs. They do not have any documented injuries, only me. The only person arrested was the landlord's husband.

Just out of the blue? For what reason?
The landlord's husband and I were arguing because he had touched my belongings again. He's been consistently doing so. Then roommate 1 came down the stairs and grabbed me in a headlock, then landlord's husband started punching me in the face. Only the landlord's husband was arrested. Only I had documentation of harm (a bloody nose). The police was completely on my side but I'm still worried because I don't have any witnesses.

The landlord's husband and I were arguing because he had touched my belongings again. He's been consistently doing so. Then roommate 1 came down the stairs and grabbed me in a headlock, then landlord's husband started punching me in the face. Only the landlord's husband was arrested. Only I had documentation of harm (a bloody nose). The police was completely on my side but I'm still worried because I don't have any witnesses.

Regardless of what happened or happens, move out, get your own place.

My concern is that there were 4 people involved, it's my word vs theirs. They do not have any documented injuries, only me. The only person arrested was the landlord's husband.

Ok...but you're not the landlord's husband and, therefore, have not been arrested. Nor have you been charged with anything. Nor has anyone said anything to you that would give any reason for concern that you might be arrested or charged.

RIGHT?

If you're concerned that the people who assaulted you might not be charged or convicted because it's your word against theirs, that is, indeed, a reasonable possibility. However, as I said before, I would think that finding a new place to live (i.e., getting yourself away from these folks) would be of far greater concern to you than whether these people suffer any criminal consequences.

Back