Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Can I be an accomplice if I didn't know?

W

Walkingcrisis

Jurisdiction
New Mexico
Long story short I helped a friend with the upkeep of her brothers horses while her brother was in jail. She filed a lien on the horses to get her money back he filed a lawsuit to get his horses back without satisfying the lien. I helped her pick up only 1 of the 4 horses on his property, her brother did not own him at the time and now she owns the horse. Their niece found me on Facebook and asked about when I saw the horses and their condition. Stupidly thinking she actually cared about them I answered her to the best of my recollection. She then told me I was a willing participant in fraud and theft. I was told by my friend that everything was done within legal boundaries, for example the horses were picked up after her brother requested it and the sherriff approved pick up. If anything was done illegally I had absolutely no idea. I was under the impression that everything was being dealt with legally. Can I be accused of this if I had no knowledge of a crime? I never denied being a willing participant in the horses upkeep but if she did something illegal I'm 100% unaware of it.

Can I be accused of this if I had no knowledge of a crime?

Of course you can. You can be "accused" by the owners. You can be "accused" by the police. You can be "accused" by the prosecutor.

I never denied being a willing participant in the horses upkeep but if she did something illegal I'm 100% unaware of it.

That could be a valid defense but if you happen to get prosecuted as an accomplice you will have to raise that defense and see if the judge or jury buys it.

The initial lawsuit hasn't even happened yet, nor has it gone through mediation. But the lawsuit is strictly over who gets possession of the animals not if she some them or not could that still leave me accusable?

You asked: "Can I be accused of this if I had no knowledge of a crime?"

Yes, I'm sure you heard about the driver of a car who drove a passenger to 7-11. The passenger decided to rob the store, came out, and said, "Thanks, take me home."

The driver might be charged, and you might be, too.

I suggest you simply tell the police, if they come knocking, "Sorry, I invoke, and choose to remain silent."

You might want to consult a licensed defense attorney in your county.

The defense of being a dupe isn't that effective.

I feel as though this woman is just trying to intimidate me but I have requested that I stay completely out of this unless I get a suopena.

As i said, stop talking, stop explaining, simply remain silent.

Nothing more to do until and unless the next shoe drops.

Staying clear of all troublemakers is always a wise idea.

Back