Can I ask for an article about myself to be removed?

Nicjoa

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was really hoping for some advice. Back in 2012 I agreed for an article to be written about me through a PR company who sent the article to the Daily Mail. The Daily Mail published the article online. At the time I was suffering with mental illnesses massively and have now asked for this article to be removed as I was not mentally stable when I agreed this and this article is ruining my reputation! I have contacted the Daily Mail many times and they have refused to remove the article from the site. Is there anything I can do about this?

At the time I was suffering with mental illnesses massively and have now asked for this article to be removed as I was not mentally stable when I agreed this and this article is ruining my reputation!

How, exactly, is it ruining your reputation?

I would think it would be old news and nobody would care after 4 years.

Is there anything I can do about this?

You can go to court and seek a court order that they remove the article.

Chances of winning are slim to none because, regardless of your protestations, you were apparently sane enough to consent to the article.

You're free to consult a lawyer in the UK and review your options.

Just understand that it's going to take a barrel full of money to go up against the Daily Mail so if your next comment is that you can't afford a lawyer, oh well.

Thank you for your comment.

It doesn't seem to matter how old this article is people do care unfortunately. I've experienced the problems from it many times.

I have sick notes from doctors saying I wasn't sane enough to make this decision. So maybe I should take them to court. My next comment wasn't going to say I can't afford a lawyer. The money isn't the issue here. I just want the article gone

It never hurts to ask politely.
The other party might be reasonable.

The Daily Mail is not known to be reasonable.

Dude wondered if he could ask.
Of course he can ask.
You're right, the other party might shoo him away.
Nevertheless, he can ask, like that Christmas an eight year old boy asked Santa Claus for $10,000.
Sucker told me, "Sure sonny, no problem."
Left that liar three of my cookies, too.
Christmas morning, poor kid didn't get the ten grand, just a lousy bicycle, a baseball glove, and a Roy Rogers Fake-Ass Cowboy Set.
WTF???
I told my dad what Santa said, and Dad said, "Son, some Santas lie!"
News to me, there were lots of Santas lying to kids.
LMFAO

Back