Can husband close joint bank account alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisismybest

Well, it looks like that was done...the account is closed and moved.
How is this possible?
Do I have no rights here?
How can a bank close an account that is also under my name without my agreement?

Well, see my other thread as we are agreeing to dissolve the marriage, however have not worked out much in the way of details yet.

How can I get a lawyer now being legal aid will not help me AND I have no access to money?

That's exactly what my ex-husband did to me, too...it was legal in PA, so I'd imagine that it would be legal in most places.

I see.
Thanks again for the quick response Proserpina.
I had been so "fair" and had not been using any money (from our joint account and had even deposited some in there) and keeping expenses to a minimum...and now, well, until I find work, it will get interesting.
sigh...

It isn't illegal.

Now you see why many divorce litigants don't settle.

Of course I thought we could just settle amicably.
He called yesterday with the news about the bank.
What did he expect me to say.
I was speechless.
He said papers are going to be mailed from the lawyer on Monday.

If I do not have the I-864 in my hands does that matter?
Can I get it from USCIS?
Can a lawyer ask for it?

Yes, the entire file can be requested by an attorney.

I realize that at the moment you're in dire straits financially, but honestly - do whatever it takes to get an attorney. Even an initial consult.

Keep researching I-864 cases; I think I posted links previously concerning the Stump and Cheshire verdicts.

Gently remind your stbx of his obligation....in the interests of fairness, it might become a very important bargaining tool for you.

stbx??

You're so kind. Thank you.
Mahalo as they say in Hawai'i!

I have not mentioned this information to him since you shared it with me.
I have requested he mail to me along with the lawyer's papers all the immigration packages that I left behind.
Knowing he doesn't want to keep them, he just might send them along.

I feel once I get them, then I will gently tell him about what I have learnt.

I got those two links you sent.
They were extremely helpful.

May I ask you...how do I find a lawyer and pick the right one for me here in Honolulu?
I've never had to engage one before.
I imagine all first consultations are free....then are you obligated???

No, you are not obligated until you actually sign a retainer agreement or other contract.

The best thing to do is simply start going through the phone book. Many will offer a first consultation for free. However since your case involves immigration AND family law, you should call around and try to locate someone who is knowledgeable in both areas.

(stbx = soon to be ex :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back