Can court be postponed for tickets if someone has two broken legs?.

A

AlanaB

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I just realized my husbands court date for his traffic violations is scheduled for today. I tried to pay over the phone but for driving while suspended he must appear. Problem is he has two broken legs and a fractures neck. Can I possibly postpone if I provide verifiable documentation?

I just realized my husbands court date for his traffic violations is scheduled for today. I tried to pay over the phone but for driving while suspended he must appear. Problem is he has two broken legs and a fractures neck. Can I possibly postpone if I provide verifiable documentation?

Yes, his court date can be postponed.
If he has a lawyer, let his lawyer do it.
If he has no lawyer, you can ask his physician to write a letter to the court explaining his medical problems.
The letter should say that he can't attend court today because he's in the hospital, or on bed rest be amuse of his medical problems.
Once you get the letter, you take it to court and deliver it to the clerk of court.
Make sure you make a copy of the letter for your husband's records.
If you can't get a letter, take a picture of him showing his injuries.
Take a picture of all of his "meds".
Make copies of any medical reports, hospital records, etc, and deliver those to the court clerk.
Advise the clerk that you couldn't get a letter from the physician today, but one is on the way by mail.
The you ask his physician to send a letter advising the court that he's hospitalized or Nader the care of a physician for certain injuries and won't be released until WHATEVER DATE it takes for him to recover.
The physician will know what to write, and have the letter mailed to you and the court.
So, make sure you give the judge's name and the mailing address of the court, as well as your to the physician or her nurse.

Frankly, I would not rely on the proposed method. Too easy to fall through the cracks and not get done. It's likely that the judge won't see it that day and will suspend your husband's license or issue a warrant, or both, and that's going to cost big money to unravel

My suggestion: Put your request for a continuance (that's what it's called) in writing, attach your supporting documents (keep copies of everything), go into the assigned courtroom, sit and wait until your husband's name is called, get up, ask the judge for the continuance, explain why, and hand him the papers. Ask that the bailiff or clerk give you something in writing for the new court date.

Frankly, I would not rely on the proposed method. Too easy to fall through the cracks and not get done. It's likely that the judge won't see it that day and will suspend your husband's license or issue a warrant, or both, and that's going to cost big money to unravel

My suggestion: Put your request for a continuance (that's what it's called) in writing, attach your supporting documents (keep copies of everything), go into the assigned courtroom, sit and wait until your husband's name is called, get up, ask the judge for the continuance, explain why, and hand him the papers. Ask that the bailiff or clerk give you something in writing for the new court date.

OP indicated in the TOP post that her husband's license was suspended, which is one of the reasons he's scheduled for court.

She tried to effect a change over the internet, but can't because the citation he received for DWLS is a must appear offense.

I suspect he was injured in an automobile collision preliminary to his arrest or citation, which caused him to sustain his massive injuries.

More than likely, the OP has been very worried about her husband's recovery, and forgot to attend the traffic matters while he was ailing.

I hope it all works out well for these nice people.

Back