Quiet Enjoyment Can an HOA get away with abusing me in a rental property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossvivace

Hello~
There is an HOA in the condo complex that I live in. I am not privy to any of their business as I rent from a single owner. Last Friday a neighbour came to my door and said "remove your things from your balcony Tue. as we are power washing the backside of the building." I did. Sun she said remove your plants from against the front wall of your apt as we are power washing. I did- I moved the ones that were too heavy to lift near a far railing out of the way. Tue morning I heard someone pounding then kicking my front door.This happened 3 times. 8 am 10 am 11 am The third time I opened it, to find the friend of the neighbor who spoke to me screaming Get your $#($* plants out of here..." He is a renter. I told him to step away from my door and closed it.He cont. to rant I called the police.He intercepted and told them he was the Manager and they believed him and would not take a report.This is someone who claims he carries a gun to "patrol the neighbourhood" and has threatened to shoot my dog before. I emailed the President of the HOA. She apologized and said she would speak to him and he has no authority to represent them. I emailed her again and told her I should have been given 24 hour notice in writing through my owner of any work to be done.She then informed me they would be sandblasting, re wood working, painting and doing all of the balconies and walkways.Next thing I know there are men on my balcony scraping all of the paint off, which they will not answer my questions about if it has lead in it. I emailed again and complained of how the neighbor had not notified me of any of this and the President said by law she had to forward my emails to the rest of the HOA.I find the "neighbour who informed me" is the Sect. and when she received my forwarded emails she sent me a flurry of emails ( she forwarded them to the Board members) which got rather personal. I had asked that they speak to the man who kicked at my door and threatened me and the owner of his unit. They let his friend handle it, the Sect. of the HOA, which to me is really not handling it, and she emailed me to tell me she had also spoken to my landlady- as if I had done something wrong.
I have an anxiety disorder, and this has greatly upset me. I am researching presently but cant come up with any rules for Calif ( LA) HOA's and how they should conduct business, how they can treat renters, if they need to inform us in writing of work to be done, if they need a building permit, if they need to notify us of lead disruption, if my landlord needs to notify me, if my landlord needs to ensure my safety from a board member who is coming to my door, saying things to me as I pass, letting her friend torture me and kick at my door.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry. You don't have much of a complaint here. You are not the owner and your rights are limited. Notice was not necessary in this case. If they were entering the home it would be different.
Unless the building is very old it is unlikely to have lead paint.
Police would have no interest in this because there is no crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back