Naturalization, Citizenship Can a US/Canada dual citizen enter Canada with US passport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyctor

I live in the US and I have Canadian and US citizenship. I have to visit Canada frequently because my father is gravely ill. My Canadian passport is going to expire in April so I have to send it in for a renewal and I won't have it for about 8 weeks. Can I enter Canada using my US passport? What are my risks?

I'm also a Canada/US dual citizen and I only have a US passport. I've entered Canada using it. Hopefully the US won't find out you have two passports or they may revoke your US one. Or so I've been told.

thanks for the reply. I was more worried about Canada's reaction. Are they ok with one of their citizens presenting a US passport when entering their country? Could it cause them to not not renew my Canadian passport?

You're far less likely to have problems with Canada than the US. In my experience, Canada accepts the concept of dual citizenship easily; the US reluctantly agrees that other nations accept the concept of dual citizenship, but they don't really believe in it themselves.

I have never, ever had any trouble entering Canada with my US id. In fact, I have a two brothers who are also dual citizens; one of my brothers had a minor issue entering Canada once and it was for a reason unrelated to his ID - that was the only time any member of my family had an issue entering Canada. I have twice been held up at the border, both times entering the US after visiting relatives in Canada, when I was seriously beginning to wonder if I was going to be allowed to re-enter the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back