Owner Change Can a sub-tenant stop a landlord from moving someone else in in Georgi

Status
Not open for further replies.

probwahouse

I am a landlord. The tenant in my rental sub-let a room which I was aware of. The tenant, who has been a tenant-at-will for 6 mo., is now moving out at the end of January however the sub tenant's lease is not over until the end of Feb. I have others ready to move in. These new tenants are not strangers to the sub tenant, they are part of the old tenants family. The new tenants have agreed that she can stay until her sub lease is over and possibly have a sub lease with them if she wishes. The sub tenant is trying to stop me from moving the new tenants in. Can she do that?

I am a landlord. The tenant in my rental sub-let a room which I was aware of. The tenant, who has been a tenant-at-will for 6 mo., is now moving out at the end of January however the sub tenant's lease is not over until the end of Feb. I have others ready to move in. These new tenants are not strangers to the sub tenant, they are part of the old tenants family. The new tenants have agreed that she can stay until her sub lease is over and possibly have a sub lease with them if she wishes. The sub tenant is trying to stop me from moving the new tenants in. Can she do that?

Under what legal theory do you think the person subletting from the vacating tenant can still continue leasing from said tenant? The tenant subletting has no rights after the lease with you expires. The vacating tenant can't sublet what he or he isn't renting. If you're smart, you'll get rid of the sublet yor, as technically she's trespassing without a lease.

They can't, unless she's YOUR tenant.

But, why would you permit anyone to sublet? How does that benefit you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back