Can a property owner squat with non-paying tenants while waiting on the courts to evict?

Gnash

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I'm looking at purchasing a property that has non paying tenants. The seller is moving out of the area soon and wants to complete the sale prior to relocation, leaving the buyer to deal with the tenants. I'm familiar with the idea of cash for keys, but I want to know if its legal for the owner of a rental property to move into the property, along with the nonpaying tenants, while awaiting the courts decision to evict.

I'm looking at purchasing a property that has non paying tenants. The seller is moving out of the area soon and wants to complete the sale prior to relocation, leaving the buyer to deal with the tenants.

You'd have to be nuts to buy it unless you were buying it as a distressed rental getting it for a dime on the dollar.

I want to know if its legal for the owner of a rental property to move into the property, along with the nonpaying tenants, while awaiting the courts decision to evict.

No. That's called wrongful, constructive, or self-help eviction. All of which are illegal and could put the kibosh on your legal action. The court could compel you to leave and start the process all over again. You need to go through the proper, legal eviction process.

I suggest you talk to an attorney and figure out what you might be getting yourself into before you commit. I had rentals and I sure as heck wouldn't buy somebody else's rat's nest.

I'm looking at purchasing a property that has non paying tenants. The seller is moving out of the area soon and wants to complete the sale prior to relocation, leaving the buyer to deal with the tenants. I'm familiar with the idea of cash for keys, but I want to know if its legal for the owner of a rental property to move into the property, along with the nonpaying tenants, while awaiting the courts decision to evict.

Maryland Attorney General

I'm familiar with the idea of cash for keys, but I want to know if its legal for the owner of a rental property to move into the property, along with the nonpaying tenants, while awaiting the courts decision to evict.

Before you move in you have to get those tenants out. Until they voluntarily vacate or are evicted they have the right of possession to the property, not you. I wouldn't touch a property that had hold over non paying tenants in the middle of eviction. That's just asking for all kinds of trouble.

Back