Can a lawyer take 90% of my settlement?

R

RC2017

Jurisdiction
California
Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance.

I recently received harassing calls from an old debt collector who repeatedly called myself and my friends and family. I took copies of the voicemails and hired a lawyer. I signed a contingency agreement and she said she would not collect any fee from me and anything she receives will be paid by the defendant. A few months later she calls me with great news. The company that was calling me has agreed to pay the debt owed along with $800 going to me. At the time I thought this was a fair deal. When I received the settlement agreement and was shocked to see that the total settlement was for $7,500, with $800 going to me and $6700 to my lawyer. I understand that I signed a retainer agreement but it 90% of total sound like a fair deal. I live in Los Angeles and her law practice is based out of Chicago.

I emailed her asking for a itemized summary of billing and have yet to receive it. She did email me back and said over course of this case she sent 75 emails and 9 conference calls. I'm happy with her receiving 40% of total but why 90% It seems as if I'm being taken advantage of.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance.

I recently received harassing calls from an old debt collector who repeatedly called myself and my friends and family. I took copies of the voicemails and hired a lawyer. I signed a contingency agreement and she said she would not collect any fee from me and anything she receives will be paid by the defendant. A few months later she calls me with great news. The company that was calling me has agreed to pay the debt owed along with $800 going to me. At the time I thought this was a fair deal. When I received the settlement agreement and was shocked to see that the total settlement was for $7,500, with $800 going to me and $6700 to my lawyer. I understand that I signed a retainer agreement but it 90% of total sound like a fair deal. I live in Los Angeles and her law practice is based out of Chicago.

I emailed her asking for a itemized summary of billing and have yet to receive it. She did email me back and said over course of this case she sent 75 emails and 9 conference calls. I'm happy with her receiving 40% of total but why 90% It seems as if I'm being taken advantage of.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Yeah, you appear to have gotten gouged.

You can complain to the state bar association, if you were dealing with a licensed attorney.

More than likely, you were victimized by a garden variety scammer.

Back