Can a landlord get in trouble for a renters crime?

Fonzie

Jurisdiction
California
Can a landlord get in trouble or face property forfeiture for crimes committed by a renter such as growing marijuana on a property that is rented out if the landlord has no knowledge of the crime being committed? (The landlord in this case has not visited the property once in the 15 years of rental activity and lives about 500 miles away, the renter and landlord are both living in California)
This is merely a "what if" question, no action has taken place nor expected to...
(I am the renter) I take care of all things needed on the property as I have known the landlord for years before the rental period began. So, again the only question is:

Can a landlord get in trouble or face property forfeiture for crimes committed by a renter such as growing marijuana on a property that is rented out if the landlord has NO knowledge of the crime being committed?

Can a landlord get in trouble or face property forfeiture for crimes committed by a renter such as growing marijuana on a property that is rented out if the landlord has no knowledge of the crime being committed? (The landlord in this case has not visited the property once in the 15 years of rental activity and lives about 500 miles away, the renter and landlord are both living in California)
This is merely a "what if" question, no action has taken place nor expected to...
(I am the renter) I take care of all things needed on the property as I have known the landlord for years before the rental period began. So, again the only question is:

Can a landlord get in trouble or face property forfeiture for crimes committed by a renter such as growing marijuana on a property that is rented out if the landlord has NO knowledge of the crime being committed?
sigh....answered down the street.

Can a landlord get in trouble for a renters crime?

Can a landlord get in trouble or face property forfeiture for crimes committed by a renter such as growing marijuana on a property that is rented out if the landlord has no knowledge of the crime being committed?

I think everyone knows the answer to the question quoted above.

Now a question for YOU, @Fonzie !

Can a tenant in the building get arrested for crimes committed by a neighbor in the apartment the person rents if the tenant has no knowledge of any crime(s) committed by the neighbor?

What a great question, huh, @Fonzie ?

My friend, @justblue , I'm sure you KNOW the answers dispensed on this site are far better than the answers dispensed on competitor site's, even if dispensed by the same participant.

Since I've been involved in this site, my blood pressure is normal, my eyesight returned to 20/20, my weight is what it was in college - 210, my height increased from 6'1" to 6'4", I can suddenly bench press 550 pounds, I am able to run a mile in 4 minutes and 20 seconds, and my income has risen by 300%.

To paraphrase Miles, "It must be The Professor."

Army Judge, Sorry, I really don't fully understand the question you've asked but I'm sensing sarcasm. (the property I'm referring to is a 3 bedroom house)
I posted in this forum also simply to get answers from additional people, the more the better. I don't mean to offend anyone.

My friend, @justblue , I'm sure you KNOW the answers dispensed on this site are far better than the answers dispensed on competitor site's, even if dispensed by the same participant.

Since I've been involved in this site, my blood pressure is normal, my eyesight returned to 20/20, my weight is what it was in college - 210, my height increased from 6'1" to 6'4", I can suddenly bench press 550 pounds, I am able to run a mile in 4 minutes and 20 seconds, and my income has risen by 300%.

To paraphrase Miles, "It must be The Professor."
Wizeazz. :p

Army Judge, Sorry, I really don't fully understand the question you've asked but I'm sensing sarcasm. (the property I'm referring to is a 3 bedroom house)
I posted in this forum also simply to get answers from additional people, the more the better. I don't mean to offend anyone.
Most of the members here also post down the street...not all, but most. Army Judge doesn't because he's a snob. :D

Most of the members here also post down the street...not all, but most. Army Judge doesn't because he's a snob. :D

Thanks for that info which is becoming obvious. If "most" members post at both forums, then "some" only look and post here. I am just maximizing my reach to the best of my ability.
If you know of any other similar forums, feel free to share!

No offense taken, mate.

I don't even allow people I know to offend me.

After decades walking this planet (my journey began in the 20th century), I take offense at nothing, because I no longer care that much about most topics to allow myself to become offended.

Back