J Visa Can a J2 live in another state than J1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaelle bernard

For work purpose can the J2 live during the week in a location and the J2 another? My work is 1h30 away from the J1 work location (in another state) and I was wondering if we can have 2 different place to live.

For work purpose can the J2 live during the week in a location and the J2 another? My work is 1h30 away from the J1 work location (in another state) and I was wondering if we can have 2 different place to live.

Suggestion:

It is best to seek answers from the agency that issued your visa or an immigration attorney.

Be smart, don't act on advice from internet strangers.
The stranger won't be able to keep you from being deported or charged criminally for breaking the law.

====================

In most cases a J-2 Visa holder can seek employment. To work, a J-2 Visa holder must obtain an Employment Authorization Document from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Money earned by a J-2 cannot be used to support the principal J-1 Visa holder.

About the J-2 Visa - BridgeUSA

When can you work in the US as a J2 dependent?
If a J2 dependent after arriving in the US wants to work in order to support themselves then they can apply for the work authorization. If it is approved, then the USCIS is going to issue an EAD (Employment Authorization Document). EAD works as evidence of your work authorization and the J2 dependent can work only after receiving it.

Can you work in the US with a J2 Visa?
J-2 visa holders are eligible to work in the United States as long as they receive a U.S. EAD (Employment Authorization Document) passport. EAD cards are currently being processed for up to 90 to 120 days.

I presume you already have the EAD? Anyhow, there's no co-residency requirement strictly, but they might question if you are genuinely married.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back