California, Notice of Lien Sale for Vehicle

blx73

Hello,

I'm from California, and I received a letter in the mail title Notice of Pending Lien Sale for Vehicle Valued $4000 or Less for a car I traded in at a dealership almost two years ago. I no longer own this vehicle, but there is a part of the letter that concerns me. That part is as follows: "Disregard this notice if you no loner own or want this vehicle so I can proceed with the sale. However, if you are the last owner of record, you may be liable for removal and disposition costs and lien not satisfied by sale of vehicle."

I looked into this a bit, and went to the DMV and received records that indicate I have a Notice of Release of Liability on file for this vehicle and that the DMV received the Notice of Release of Liability for the vehicle in question almost two years ago. The DMV told me that I should be fine, and that the towing company can't bill me anything because of the Notice of Release of Liability.

I'm still concerned though, because I'm still listed as the registered owner on this vehicle apparently.

There's some wording that both makes me feel better and makes me wonder that is on the California DMV Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability website:

"When this online service is properly completed and the information is recorded by the DMV, liability for parking and/or traffic violations and civil litigation resulting from operation after the date of sale becomes the responsibility of the new buyer."

"Reporting the sale or transfer of a vehicle or vessel to the DMV does not constitute a transfer of ownership. The record is not permanently transferred out of your name until the DMV receives a completed application for transfer of ownership and payment of appropriate fees from the new owner."

The first quote makes me feel better, as the DMV does have a record of the Release of Liability on file so liability is transferred to the buyer.

The 2nd quote makes me worry as the vehicle is still in my name.

Am I just worrying too much? Should I take the CA DMVs word for it and not worry about it at all? Or is it not good that the vehicle is still in my name and I'm receiving letters from towing companies?

This vehilce looks like it changed hands once more after I traded it in. The dealership I traded in the car at put it up for auction and sold it to another dealership. I think that the dealership they sold it to went out of business and that is why the old car got towed.

Please let me know if I'm worrying too much.

Please let me know if I'm worrying too much.

Worrying about anything is useless.
Worry won't pay debts, cure illnesses, or stop a home invader.

Rather than worry about something, if it concerns you; you must take action to change, modify, stop, thwart, hamper, impede, or ignore it!

Back