California Domestic Partnership - Name Change Law CA AB 102

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabori17

My question pertains to the rights given to a couple who has registered for a Certificate of Domestic Partnership in California, as they pertain to CA AB 102. To my understanding, AB 102 allows for one or both partners to legally change their names (within the limitations stated). When we register, I would like to hyphenate my last name to include both of our current last names.

However, once we receive the certificate of registration from the State that shows my new and "old" names, will I be able to change my name on other legal documents? My biggest concern is changing my name with the SSA. I have read that the DMV now references the SSA for name changes, and I will also need a new SSA card for things like my W-4 changes at work, my passport, etc. The SSA didn't have an answer for me when I emailed their help line.

Will changing my name on the CA Domestic Partnership registration form still leave me having to go through the court system to "legally change my name"? I thought CA AB 102 was supposed to prevent that.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back