California Case Transfer and Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

wytowow

My husband and I recently moved to California from Texas and I'm in the process of transferring our case to California. My ex hasn't been in contact for several months and is about 9 months behind in child support. I guess the local child support office sent him some paperwork and now he is trying to get the support amount lowered. He is remarried and recently bought a home, so I know his financial situation has improved since the amount was set a few years ago. In Texas, my income didn't count and I never had to fill out any paperwork listing my income and assets. In California I'm still confused as to what income counts. I'm a fulltime student and I have no income. My husband (stepfather to my son) is a veteran and receives a living allowance through the GI Bill. Does that income count toward calculating the child support amount? I'm wondering if I made a big mistake by transferring the case here.

My husband and I recently moved to California from Texas and I'm in the process of transferring our case to California. My ex hasn't been in contact for several months and is about 9 months behind in child support. I guess the local child support office sent him some paperwork and now he is trying to get the support amount lowered. He is remarried and recently bought a home, so I know his financial situation has improved since the amount was set a few years ago. In Texas, my income didn't count and I never had to fill out any paperwork listing my income and assets. In California I'm still confused as to what income counts. I'm a fulltime student and I have no income. My husband (stepfather to my son) is a veteran and receives a living allowance through the GI Bill. Does that income count toward calculating the child support amount? I'm wondering if I made a big mistake by transferring the case here.

Why do you think Texas will allow Cali to obtain jurisdiction? Why do you think that EX will capitulate to this? You moved. You do not get to "dictate" jurisdiction.
Jurisdiction will remain in Texas as long as Dad lives there.

BTW: The correct answer to the bolded question/answer should have been Texas.

Last edited:
Maybe I didn't explain the situation in enough detail. My ex husband does not live in Texas, he lives in Idaho. I moved to Texas when we separated in 2005 and filed for divorce there. Every divorce and custody hearing took place in Texas. The California child support office requested all the information from the court in Texas and requested permission to handle the case. I'm a little unclear about whether they granted permission to transfer or if the case was only registered in California.

Maybe I didn't explain the situation in enough detail. My ex husband does not live in Texas, he lives in Idaho. I moved to Texas when we separated in 2005 and filed for divorce there. Every divorce and custody hearing took place in Texas. The California child support office requested all the information from the court in Texas and requested permission to handle the case. I'm a little unclear about whether they granted permission to transfer or if the case was only registered in California.

No. You left out very pertinent facts. Like you chose to move child/ren away from their Father. Certainly that might contribute to his lack of involvement. It wouldn't stop me...But my circumstances are possibly different.

So...You are up-rooting the children on a fairly regular basis. How nice for them. Good "mothering". Courts in Cali will be over-joyed to hear your case.

Hire an attorney.

Well you're obviously a bitter douchebag. If you have nothing to contribute to my posts, ignore them. I left with my child due to an abusive relationship. My ex has every right to visit his son whenever he wants, but he doesn't. He also doesn't pay child support. How does that make me a bad mother for protecting my child? Poor poor deadbeat Dads...

;)
Well you're obviously a bitter douchebag. If you have nothing to contribute to my posts, ignore them. I left with my child due to an abusive relationship. My ex has every right to visit his son whenever he wants, but he doesn't. He also doesn't pay child support. How does that make me a bad mother for protecting my child? Poor poor deadbeat Dads...

Wow. Just ....WOw.

TOS is your friend.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back