CA 94 in 65 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexmioni

On labor day I recived a speeding ticket issued by the CHP and it stated 94 in 65. This happened in San Louis Obispo county, the date of the incident is 09/06/2004 but on the ticket there is written 09/07/2004 which is incorrect. Also I called the court to find out some information regarding my ticket and the said that it would be under $550.00 and according to my speed I'm not eligable for traffic school :(

On top of that I live in LA and the court house is 5 1/2 hours away.
Can I fight it? How hard would it be to be granted traffic school? Do I need a Lawyer? Any help is usefull.

Thanks in advance Alex

California Speeding Ticket

There are several things you can do without an attorney. One is that you can request a change of venue to the county seat if that is closer to you.

This means that the court date will be delayed and there is a greater chance of the officer not showing and you can request dismissal. CHP officers miss few court dates since they get paid overtime.

You can file for a Trial by Declaration. Your only chance of winning is if the officer fails to turn in his paperwork which rarely happens with CHP. If you are found guilty you then have ten days to file an appeal and receive a new trial. You will have to post bond in the amount of the fine.

Or you can retain an attorney and see if he can arrange for traffic school. There are no guarantees and it depends a lot on the judge. If you do not have an attorney then try the find an attorney link on this site. Only if no one is listed then email me and I can provide some more references.

Re: California Speeding Ticket

So If I request a change of venue the trial will be changed to Los Angeles County or it will still remain within the same county?
If it remains in the same county it is still a 5 hour drive from where i live.

Do you know which speed is too fast for traffic school:confused:

Is there anything I can claim since there is a wrong date on the ticket?

If you're going 25+ over the limit, you're not automatically elidible for traffic school from the court clerk.

However it is my understanding that you can request traffic school at your arraignment (if you choose to plead guilty).

I heard that if I plead guilty and apoligize of my actions don't you usually get a reduced fine and are they easier on you?
Will the change of venue mean that the court will be moved to LA?
When pleading guilty Would I be easier to be granted Traffic school I have no points on my record and the only ticket I got was about 2 years ago, but I'm not shure. Is there any way to check what date it was, I looked through my paper work and I didn't find it.

BTW thanks for your help guys

Drive the 5 and a half hours for court. It shows effort. Then plea guilty and pray that the DA will plea bargain with you. Usually if this is your 1st offense the judge might offer traffic school as a option. Then tell them some sorry story that you are in a financial bind and some kind of hardship and hopefully traffic school would be a just punishment.

Good luck.

So a change of venue dosen't mean that the trial will be relocated to LA county? But thanks guys for the help so far

change of venue was denied

i recieved a speeding ticket in the county of santa clarita. at the time the ticket was issued, i requested to have my county seat as the place to appear and was denied by the officer. when the ticket was later sent home, i wrote to the presiding judge requesting a change of venue since i live and work in the south bay which is 300 miles away. did the judge have the right to deny my request? is there anything i can do?

It can't be changed to your county seat since you are in another county. Where did you get that idea?

Next time start you own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back