C&D Letter w/ No Evidence Received

Kaptnkay

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Tonight, I was checking my "Other" folder on Facebook when I saw a former friend had messaged me. The message was, essentially, a Cease & Desist letter written in the third person implying it came from an attorney. The letter stated that I had made defamatory and derogatory statements about this person that was intentionally harming their business. I have not spoken to or about this person since September of 2014 and this message was written to me via Facebook on May 29th. I have never once spoken to anyone about this person's business.
Should I file harassment charges on this person for threatening me with a C&D letter since this person has no evidence (because I didn't do it) of any form of defamation, slander, or libel? I feel threatened by this letter especially because her claim is untrue and possibly based on hearsay.

Tonight, I was checking my "Other" folder on Facebook when I saw a former friend had messaged me. The message was, essentially, a Cease & Desist letter written in the third person implying it came from an attorney. The letter stated that I had made defamatory and derogatory statements about this person that was intentionally harming their business. I have not spoken to or about this person since September of 2014 and this message was written to me via Facebook on May 29th. I have never once spoken to anyone about this person's business.
Should I file harassment charges on this person for threatening me with a C&D letter since this person has no evidence (because I didn't do it) of any form of defamation, slander, or libel? I feel threatened by this letter especially because her claim is untrue and possibly based on hearsay.

If you believe the person violated the ToS for FaceBook, contact the site administrators.

If I were you, I'd IGNORE the person, pretending that she no longer exists.

I'm a lawyer, and have been a licensed lawyer for decades.

Never have I ever known any lawyer to send any entity a "cease and desist" letter, or even a "lawyer" letter via email or by posting the letter to any social media site.

That said, I wouldn't fret over an idiot, and I wouldn't let the idiot know that she has illustrated to the entire planet that she's in the running for IDIOT OF THE YEAR!!!

Thank you for the chuckle, Army Judge. :)
This woman has been nothing but horrible and a nuisance to so many people in the animal-rescuing community. She has written untrue stuff about me on Facebook before and, like a sane person, I just blocked her and have been ignoring her since. Fortunately, nobody ever believes her because she is a chronic liar.
Anyway, the letter freaked me out because it sounds like she is getting ready to sue me. As I have said before, I have never spoken about this woman or her business before today. It is my understanding that she has to prove that the statements I said were actually said by me (not hearsay), were untrue, and caused momentary damage. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

Thank you for the chuckle, Army Judge. :)
This woman has been nothing but horrible and a nuisance to so many people in the animal-rescuing community. She has written untrue stuff about me on Facebook before and, like a sane person, I just blocked her and have been ignoring her since. Fortunately, nobody ever believes her because she is a chronic liar.
Anyway, the letter freaked me out because it sounds like she is getting ready to sue me. As I have said before, I have never spoken about this woman or her business before today. It is my understanding that she has to prove that the statements I said were actually said by me (not hearsay), were untrue, and caused momentary damage. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

Yes, any plaintiff must plead and prove his or her case.

Back