buy here pay here dealership

shane2019

Does anyone here know anything about buy here pay here car dealership laws in california? I know there's a law that requires dealerships to provide a 30 day 1000 mile warranty, but the dealership had a waver of warranty. Wouldn't that waver be null and void because it's circumventing a law?
I bought a truck and in the first week problems started.
The brakes started to grind. The back lighting for the speed/tachometer doesn't work (couldn't tell because I bought it during the day). A/C doesn't work. it was 60 degrees outside so it felt cold but at 80 degrees it wasn't even cool. There was also a rats nest in the airbox complete with bones from an animal that didn't die in there.

Are you posting from in or near Hayward California?

California's Used Car Lemon Law provides the manufacturer and its authorized dealers with a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defects or nonconformities in a used car or vehicle under warranty before they are required to buy back a vehicle or compensate the owner.

More details here, make sure you read & understand it all before trying to do anything.

California Used Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet

But But But

Unlike some other states, in California used cars qualify for protection under the used car lemon law only if they are sold with a warranty.

If no manufacturer's warranty came with the vehicle, then the dealer must have provided a warranty in order for the used car lemon law to apply.

You can tell whether or not you received a dealer warranty by looking at the document called the Buyer's Guide.

California Used Car Lemon Law - Free Info 855-4-LEMON-LAW

One last chance, maybe, kinda, sort of:

http://www.californialemonlaw-lawyers.com/auto-fraud-other-car-dealer-tricks/as-is-sales

I live in Hayward. It's a 2003 with 130,000 miles so I'm pretty sure theres no manufacturer warranty. After reading the last link I think I have grounds to tell them fix it or else. I was told by the general manager that all options work and nothing mechanical needed repair. This is quite obviously not the case.
Also, one taillight is cracked and one has a hole in it however they function properly.

taillight is cracked and one has a hole in it however they function properly.

Remember, "white to the rear" is NOT allowed to be emitted from an otherwise red taillight.

I think you are on to something, start a conversation with the lot's general manager.
It can't hurt, and you just might get satisfaction.

In the long run, I think you might be better off by unloading the vehicle as soon as your finances permit.

Trust me, I know your predicament.

I was once a struggling young army corporal trying to support my wife and my oldest son on $123 a month back in 1966.

My wife got $130 housing allowance, of which I had to let Uncle Sammy take $40 of my $123, plus IRS thefts, Social inSecurity, and state ripoffs; leaving us with about $80 of the $123.

That is why I volunteered for four years in Nam, consecutively.

I remember those days vividly, just keep trying mate, you can get through it.

I think you are on to something, start a conversation with the lot's general manager.
It can't hurt, and you just might get satisfaction.
I called the gm. I played dumb like I didn't know about the airbox. It sounds like the shop he uses to check the cars is ripping him off. They said it's good when it clearly isn't. His reaction would indicate he isn't lieing. I only brought up the airbox and brakes on the phone.
He offered to reimburse me for the air filter and he's going to pay to take it to another shop. Hopefully he just gets everything fixed. He will be taking a hit on it though. I paid $5600 for it and he paid $5100 for it. Fixing everything will benefit him in the long run even if he doesn't have to. A review about how he was honest and fixed everything will bring in a lot of customers vs a review saying he lied and ripped me off.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully all goes well.

Back