Business forming problem- please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianW

I'm going try to make this thread as coherent as I can.

I'm in the process of starting my own Audio business from scratch. I have already found my desired business name, which is different from my full legal name, and I want to know if I am on the right track- legally. The business I am plan on starting is going to evolve over time.

First, I want to use the same business name for three different business all in the services of professional audio: live sound company, a recording studio and a indie recording label.

Secondly, I am the sole owner and I will not have anyone "legally" working for me- where I would have "employees" and "payroll". I will have my close friends helping me out with the services and they will have certain positions in this business. If this business becomes successful in anyway and large forms of business interactions take place and employees will be needed- then, I will take the necessary steps.

For now, I want to protect the business of my name. I read everything in detail at the USPTO, searched their TM database, etc, etc. Before I go ahead and file the application electronically I want have something cleared:

Do I file for a trademark to protect my business name or do I register a business name by going to my county clerk, etc, etc (http://business.illinois.gov/step_by_step_guides.cfm#t1)

I just want to operate under by business name so my clients get to know me but without all the IRS, taxes, licensing, etc involved.

Lastly, the business name for example is: A B C where sometimes I will abbreviate it: A.B.C and sometimes I will have an extension: A B C & D.

Does this mean I have to file three different forms with the USPTO or do I file all the names, abbreviations on the same form?

Thank you to the individual in reading through all that and helping me out. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back