Business entrance blocked due to zoning issue

wooyeolc

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
One of the two entrances to my business in New Jersey was recently blocked by the township. My business shared an entrance with a neighboring business which did not please them. The neighbor already had a small parking lot in front of his building and did not like the fact that the entrance allowed access to my business. Since the entrance DID benefit my business, the neighbor demanded that we pay a small amount of money per year. As time passed they demanded more, we went from small yearly payments to large monthly payments with additional benefits to the neighbor (written contract).

Believing that I can avoid conflicts by paying them off, I continued this contract knowing that I was being taken advantage of. However, the demands grew every year and I simply could not agree with the ridiculous terms.

When I denied the added terms, the entrance was blocked off so only one entrance was accessible. If you were a business owner, you would know how much impact accessibility can have on your business. So when the entrance was blocked by my neighbor, I quickly sought for legal advice and found out that our entrance was blocked by the township by changing the type of zone my entrance is located.

The neighbor apparently has a connection with the township and influenced the blockage of my entrance. Then my neighbor has demanded that I agree to the new terms in order to open the entrance. Which is absurd because I have to agree to a term with a private company in order to open up my entrance with the township. The township already agreed to blocking the entrance after I denied the new terms with my neighbor.

Lawyers do not recommend nor wish to involve themselves in this issue because the township is involved.

Now I am looking for any solution to open up my entrance.

Is there any way I can petition to the local township? or any legal action I can take to undo this blockage?

I am stuck and frustrated since even lawyers are refusing this case. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Without a lawyer, you're dead in the water.

All you can do is put up a bigger sign on the remaining entrance and advertise where it's at and otherwise notify your customers.

You should never have agreed to pay the other business owner.

Chamberlain appeased Hitler for years. See how that worked out.

Back