Repairs, Maintenance Building Management Will Not Fix Windows

G.S.

Jurisdiction
California
It has been around 7 months (immediately after moving in) since I first asked for this to be taken care of. I cannot open either of the 2 windows without the risk of them completely failing and breaking off of the frame (to fall one story onto the sidewalk). Contacted building management about getting this fixed 4 times now. Someone was sent to inspect after the 4th time. Said they needed parts...this was in March. Day or night...it's always hot in here especially now and it's starting to affect me in some very negative ways. What are my options?

Window Pic

view

Oakland, CA

Last edited:
It has been around 7 months (immediately after moving in) since I first asked for this to be taken care of. I cannot open either of the 2 windows without the risk of them completely failing and breaking off of the frame (to fall one story onto the sidewalk).

If, as appears to be the case, this problem existed and was known to you at the time you moved in, why did you sign the lease without this problem being taken care of? Or, does the lease contain a provision that the landlord will fix these windows?

What are my options?

1. Do nothing.
2. Move out.
3. Pay for the repair/replacement yourself.
4. Continue doing what you've been doing for seven months.

There are probably a couple others. If you want an assessment of the legal viability of any of the options other than #1, you'll need to provide relevant facts.

If, as appears to be the case, this problem existed and was known to you at the time you moved in, why did you sign the lease without this problem being taken care of? Or, does the lease contain a provision that the landlord will fix these windows?

1. Do nothing.
2. Move out.
3. Pay for the repair/replacement yourself.
4. Continue doing what you've been doing for seven months.

There are probably a couple others. If you want an assessment of the legal viability of any of the options other than #1, you'll need to provide relevant facts.

It doesn't matter if it existed at the time of move-in. If the windows does not meet code, then code enforcement can require the LL to repair the problem.

Opened and closed fine when inspecting. When I opened them again during moving day is when they suddenly were crooked and couldn't close them again (without force and the assistance of the building maintenance folk). Funny enough, they mentioned that these apartments were supposed to all have the windows updated to modern times before offering as rentals.

It doesn't matter if it existed at the time of move-in. If the windows does not meet code, then code enforcement can require the LL to repair the problem.

Thank you for the relevant information. Much appreciated.

I agree that, if the windows do not comply with a code, then the landlord may be required to fix them. However, if there is no code issue, then it may very well matter what the state of affairs was at the time of move in. I wouldn't have asked otherwise.

I agree that, if the windows do not comply with a code, then the landlord may be required to fix them. However, if there is no code issue, then it may very well matter what the state of affairs was at the time of move in. I wouldn't have asked otherwise.
Fair enough

Back