Building a legal case for neighbor harassment

LeaveusAlone

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
How do I go about building a legal case for neighbor harassment? My wife and I live next to someone that built in our property 3 years ago. The property line dispute was settled out of court but this individual has turned this issue into a personal vendetta against our family. He is an alcoholic bully and is trying to kick us out of our home. Needless to say...we are not going anywhere. The harassing behavior occurs primarily during the summer months where he uses the sound system in their pool as a weapon of harassment against us. When we come home they turn the music on loud past 11 pm. Often times they are drunk. We do not approach them or talk to them at all. Recently they started throwing garbage in our property again and a threatening object was left in our mailbox as well. We decided to install security cameras in our property after the latest incident to record video and sound. The issue I have is I don't think a lot of the stuff they do is criminal in nature and in our view the best approach is to ignore them altogether. We have never called the cops on them as we don't want to escalate the situation. We have kept a log of all the harassment incidents that have occurred in the past three years. The count is approaching 30 incidents so far. So my question is: is video evidence alone enough to build a neighbor harassment case?

You can't defeat the type of person you describe.

The law will only get involved if a crime is committed.

You have two options, IGNORE all vermin, or build the highest wall allowable by law (add a moat if possible) and IGNORE whatever this bully does.

Your other option is to sell your home and move ASAP.

Any other options involve too much pain and too much money to receive the same result you desire to extinguish.

Know this, you can't control the behavior of others.

You can ONLY control your behavior.

I wouldn't install one that records sound if the camera's are facing towards their property. Federal wiretapping laws could come into play...

Cameras were installed by security & alarm company. They record sound within our property and face only our property line. I would imagine the installer would have said something upfront. I also consulted this with my attorney and he did not raise an issue.

I agree as well with prior post....IGNORING these jerks is probably the best option...we have been doing that already for 3 years.

Last edited:
Back