Building a home, breaking a lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzu1177

I recently bought into a new townhome community and settlement is coming up. I have read my lease and the way it reads to me is that as long as I give 60 days notice and furnish a letter from my title company i can break the lease without having to pay all of the penalties. I have contacted my leasing representative and she has stated that we have to pay all of the penalties. This is what the lease states:

"Your right of early termination is not limited to a particular fact situation. If limited, early termination may be exercised only if the following facts occur and the described documents are furnished to us. (For example, a letter verifying your job transfer to another city at least 30 miles away, or a letter from a title insurance company verifying your contract to purchase a home and the scheduled closing date). Any special provisions below will supercede any conflicting provision of this printed form. Any false statements or documents presented to us regarding early termination will automatically void your early termination right and this addendum. The special provisions are: in the event that the resident is in default of the lease agreement all concessions and discounts must be repaid."

I am in no way in default of the lease, I have always paid my rent and utilities on time. I have had no problems with the apartment complex.

If I have to pay the penalties ($2000), I have to pay...but i just want someone to look at this and tell me what they think. Who is right? The apartment complex or me???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back