Brother Stole My Identity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMARTinez80

I'm 23 years old and living in Texas. I do not have a TDL nor a car at this point. (Public transportation.) I do have an ID card though. My brother was driving his uninsured car and for some reason had my ID card with him. He was pulled over and presented my ID as his own. He had traffic ticket warrants out and feared arrest if he presented the officer HIS Driver's License. Now because of this incident I have a traffic ticket and must present myself at court. Basically my question is this: If this ticket was issued under my name even though I was not the one driving is there any possibility that I can get out of this without penalty? Shouldn't it be the officer's fault for not recognizing that the driver and the ID presented did NOT match? I mean, we sort of look alike considering we're related but C'MON! Can anyone help? Thanks.

If this was only a state ID card, your charges should be operating without an operater's license. I'm not keen on Texas law, but I don't think that's a huge charge, but if ya plan on gettin' in other trouble later, it won't look good... lol

I would find out the penalty of the ticket, costs, etc. making sure your bro agrees to pay any fines/court costs aquired thru this ting. If it's a lotta points on your (not gotten yet) license, I'm not sure I'd do it. If you don't have plans of gettin' a drivers license soon, I wouldn't worry much......

Really..... decide if you'd rather get your bro in a lotta shit by saying he used your id while driving the car..... ( he'll prolly end up facing the traffic tickets, and he should), or you can take one for the ol' gipper, (hoping your bro pays ya back the cash), and help out a sibling......

Do what ya think is right man...

Originally posted by KMARTinez80
I'm 23 years old and living in Texas. I do not have a TDL nor a car at this point. (Public transportation.) I do have an ID card though. My brother was driving his uninsured car and for some reason had my ID card with him. He was pulled over and presented my ID as his own. He had traffic ticket warrants out and feared arrest if he presented the officer HIS Driver's License. Now because of this incident I have a traffic ticket and must present myself at court. Basically my question is this: If this ticket was issued under my name even though I was not the one driving is there any possibility that I can get out of this without penalty? Shouldn't it be the officer's fault for not recognizing that the driver and the ID presented did NOT match? I mean, we sort of look alike considering we're related but C'MON! Can anyone help? Thanks.
Rathi has a good point. This is a tough choice but it is your brother's fault. If it were me I might wish to have him take care of his problem which he got himself into. This is not such a serious charge but it isn't like one of you will not have some trouble. In this instance, your brother could get in big trouble for presenting your ID as his own -- but that's really his problem. He took a risk and got caught...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back